Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 16-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #61
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 8,559 Times in 5,649 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Watched many of his videos - very good and very honest.

Also watched some of the Carwow ones as they did a full to empty test on pretty much the choices i have.
Which if any of the videos influenced your decision?
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 06:40 PM   #62
Coops
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul boy 68 View Post
Which if any of the videos influenced your decision?
None really if I'm honest. Been following EVs for a while now and reading reviews helped me make my mind up.

The Electrifying.com videos are also very good. I tend to watch some of the more unbiased ones, hence why I like Harry's ones. His I Pace and Tesla ones were particularly honest.

Genuinely think we are on the cusp with EVs and Gridserve taking over Ecotricity, and making more investments in the charging network is only going to improve things. Maybe I'm about 12 months too early but I can't turn down the opportunity to get a significant reduction in my BIK which translates to nearly over £5k in my pocket.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #63
121DOM
Washmitt Meister

Out of interest what are real mileage reductions now the weather is warm / hot and have the aircon on?
We don’t own electric yet as the honest (french !!??) salespeople for several brand we have spoken to said 50% - 60% reduction in range. I can probably believe them as 99% of EV’s you see have all the windows down and some very hot and uncomfortable looking occupants .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
121DOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #64
GeeWhizRS

Thanked 1,222 Times in 822 Posts
Garage
I wouldn't worry too much about the drop in range with using the air con. If the air con isn't on you'd usually have the heater on and both will cause a drain. After a couple of years with my EV the thing I can tell you that kills the range is the speed you travel at. In my i3S if I'm tooling around on A roads, say up to 60mph (and not hanging around) I'll see around 150-160 miles. If I do 70-75mph on the motorway I'll see that drop to around 110 miles. If I go at 100mph that drops to about 60 miles. It does me fine though. Most of my trips are within an 80 mile round trip so I tend to go there carefully and return with my foot down.
GeeWhizRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeeWhizRS For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (17-06-2021)
Old 17-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #65
Coops

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWhizRS View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the drop in range with using the air con. If the air con isn't on you'd usually have the heater on and both will cause a drain. After a couple of years with my EV the thing I can tell you that kills the range is the speed you travel at. In my i3S if I'm tooling around on A roads, say up to 60mph (and not hanging around) I'll see around 150-160 miles. If I do 70-75mph on the motorway I'll see that drop to around 110 miles. If I go at 100mph that drops to about 60 miles. It does me fine though. Most of my trips are within an 80 mile round trip so I tend to go there carefully and return with my foot down.
How much of this range depletion is down to regen braking? I've read a number of reports and insights from owners which suggests that range is improved by driving A/B roads rather than motorways.

I guess the constant on/off of the throttle coupled with braking will provide some regen of the batteries which you wouldn't get cruising on motorways.

In fact one of Harry's videos suggests as much on the i-Pace in that it doesn't really like motorways.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 11:33 AM   #66
andy665

Thanked 5,586 Times in 3,028 Posts
Quote:
I think this sums up my frustration and lack of buy in to EV, in my ICE cars i don't need to think, no need to plan, no need to drive carefully, I just get in and go, if I need fuel, I pull in and refuel and on my way in 5 mins
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (17-06-2021), Darlofan (17-06-2021), Rundie (17-06-2021), Soul boy 68 (17-06-2021)
Old 17-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #67
Darlofan

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,469 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Curious as to what happens if you run out of charge whilst out. Can the RAC etc charge it a bit to get you going or is it just recovered home?
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #68
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,560 Times in 5,156 Posts
Quote:

That’s a great insight and backs up what my mate at work is finding, you hit the motorway and the range just tumbles…
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #69
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 8,559 Times in 5,649 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post
I think this sums up my frustration and lack of buy in to EV, in my ICE cars i don't need to think, no need to plan, no need to drive carefully, I just get in and go, if I need fuel, I pull in and refuel and on my way in 5 mins

Exactly my main reason why EV's are not floating my boat, what a ball ache to have to plan everything on the road like some military exercise and the need to have apps on your phone so you need to find the nearest charger and when you do find one you could be faced with a long wait as the charging stations are all taken up.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #70
GeeWhizRS

Thanked 1,222 Times in 822 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
How much of this range depletion is down to regen braking? I've read a number of reports and insights from owners which suggests that range is improved by driving A/B roads rather than motorways.
I guess the constant on/off of the throttle coupled with braking will provide some regen of the batteries which you wouldn't get cruising on motorways.
I've no idea how much charge regenerative braking puts in but it must have an effect; I would guess it's only small though. I've always put the drop in range at speed down to wind drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlofan View Post
Curious as to what happens if you run out of charge whilst out. Can the RAC etc charge it a bit to get you going or is it just recovered home?
I'd call BMW assist - they'd stick it on a flatbed and take it to the nearest charge point.
GeeWhizRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GeeWhizRS For This Useful Post:
Darlofan (18-06-2021)