Detailing World Forum banner

Wash and wax shampoos - where do they have their place?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Caledoniandream 
#1 ·
So im hovering over a shampoo or a wahs and wax and cant decide

will the shampoo have better cleaning, and so, better when im already waxed?

Or will the wash and wax give more protection getting into places we dont see or can get to with a paste wax?

OR and heres a curveball, could it seal in the salt i cant get to!

Im tempted to go shampoo only and use spray waxes and wipe down the door shuts with wax but another part of me says what i dont see, will rust.

I guess the compromise is use both.... whats your thoughts?

#2 ·
Pete,

What about something that cleans and adds protection? Carbon collective Hybrid shampoo gives amazing gloss cleans well and adds protection as you wash. You could then top it off with Carbon collective Hybrid spray sealant via snow foam lance or trigger spray? Another example of this is Bubblor by Stjarnagloss and Glatt or Gyeon bathe + and Gyeon Wetcoat

#4 ·
Im guessing, shampoos are good if you know the cars protected or you're going to detail further but the wash and wax good if you literally just need to was the car and go..say on holiday.

i have loads of waxes im over-using to use them up but if i didnt have time i guess wash and wax would make sense.

same with spray wax, when to use.... when i cba to hard wax

#5 ·
Im guessing, shampoos are good if you know the cars protected or you're going to detail further but the wash and wax good if you literally just need to was the car and go..say on holiday.

i have loads of waxes im over-using to use them up but if i didnt have time i guess wash and wax would make sense.

same with spray wax, when to use.... when i cba to hard wax
I have used this combo on unprotected cars with no issues or even protected cars. Many spray waxes add gloss but little in the way of protection.

#8 ·
Heres my 2p on your situation:

Personally speaking, twice a year (before and after winter) I will strip and apply a new layer of wax. Polish Angel for me at the moment. For the rest of the year, I will apply some additional protection in the form of a spray wax (during the summer) and a spray over sealant (like Polar Seal) in the winter as its much easier and I want to warm up by then!

Most of what I have posted as for my procedure is based around weather. Summer I have more inclination to stay outside. In the winter, its usually just to get round the car as quick (and safely) as possible without freezing to death :lol:.

Personally, depending on the car you have, I wouldnt be too concerned about rust. If its getting to the stage where you are seeing rust spots, you can tackle them individually as you go with a suitable protection or bodywork if its that bad :)

#9 ·
I was the cars so regularly I don't need a really strong shampoo.
I just use Simoniz wash and wax from Costco.
About a fiver for 5 litres
Don't particularly care if it has Wax or not as I always put something ontop after like BSD or TW hybrid sealant spray wax, either as a drying aid or as an apply and buff.
If I'm using a ceramic coating on my rims I'll still use wash and wax as I'm doing all the decon after anyway.
Even if I'm treating myself to a waxing I'll still not worry about the wash and wax contamination before applying the wax as I never leave the car bare so long that Iust have maximum wax durability.

So for me, I use the wash and wax coz it's cheap and does the job, but don't particularly look for a wash and wax.

#11 ·
Years ago I used Turtle wax and wax, and buffed the car up after drying, for that time it would do.
Than Turtle wax brought a product out called Hot Wax, a couple of capfuls in a bucket of hot water as a final rinse, dry and a buff, it left some protection where you couldn’t reach.
This was in the 80-90’s, car still had to be rust proofed every two year (tectyl or dinitrol)

I used for a long time Autoglym body conditioner, bought it in 25 litre bulk, great product, good value and did every thing I wanted it to do.

Nowadays for the last 2-3 years I use Bilt Hamber Autowash, very happy with it, great value, clean fantastic, and I use BSD as a drying aid.
Once a month Polar seal, and happy with the result.
Polish and wax twice a year, and it seems to do the trick.

Does wash and wax add something, yes it does, but sometimes it affects the ultimate gloss and can on top of a wax make the car look greasy under certain light, especially if you cannot dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.