Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 27-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
Diplomat2.6
Sponge Jockey

Vauxhall Carlton 2.6 Diplomat

I was just sitting and thinking, then I remembered that I have never put the restoration of my 2.6 Carlton on here, or the work in progress Viceroy 2500

The diplomat first.
New arches
Respray of doors, rear wings, rear bumper.

Then the Viceroy 2500

This needed a complete respray due to peeling lacquer.

I haven't sprayed the wings yet, because I'm delayed trying to find some decent doors. It is safely in the garage. I did try my hand a lead loading, but the wings are just too far gone. Managed to find some new ones at a reasonable cost, luckily.
Diplomat2.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Diplomat2.6 For This Useful Post:
enc (02-03-2017), Nozza (28-02-2017), slim_boy_fat (02-03-2017), streaky (28-02-2017), Turbo Tony (04-03-2017), X-Type_Bobstar (02-03-2017), Zebra (27-02-2017)
Old 27-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #2
ibiza55
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,448 Times in 1,400 Posts
Garage
You definitely love your Vauxhall big motors, well done on keeping them on the road matey.
ibiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Diplomat2.6
Sponge Jockey

2.2 CDi

This one was an ebay find about 8 years ago - 36000 documented miles with every tax disc and MOT

The Viceroy has 43 000 miles and lived by the sea

The 2.6 has now done 110 000 miles and I've owned it for 15 years.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diplomat2.6 For This Useful Post:
MadOnVaux! (01-03-2017), X-Type_Bobstar (02-03-2017)
Old 27-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #4
R0B

Thanked 1,001 Times in 731 Posts
Great write ups
R0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
Slammedorion

Nice work
Slammedorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 11:01 PM   #6
Ianbuckwell
Unwashed Member

Love the paintwork, I always fond it so satisfying and rewarding doing paint as it makes such a huge difference. What brand/type of basecoat and clear do you use? Do you get your colours mixed to a paint code or are they custom matched to a sample of the original?

These era cars are becoming classics, kind of scary when I remember mates having that shape cavalier, one had a red Caliber. Makes me feel old
Thanks.
Ianbuckwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 01:49 AM   #7
Diplomat2.6
Sponge Jockey

I must say, I love paintwork too. The satisfaction, relaxation and pleasure are great, and the savings are huge. I reckon the cost can't be far off 10% of a professional job, if that. When you mechanical jobs, the labour is now a much smaller part of the overall cost as parts are so dear.
I used to work in garage as a teenager and the local paint supplier used to sell PPG. The had all the paint chips. They would start from the code and then use the chips to chrck the variant. The Rembrandt silver Carlton had two variants, neither of which were spot on, but making sure I avoided edge to edge (ie use a blend panel) Higher air pressure was also used to lift the flake and make it seem lighter)

The Viceroy was Lechler as the PPG centre closed down when cellulose was going to be phased out. PPG cellulose was ok, but their Deltron basecoat / 2k clear was brilliant. Interestingly they did a non-isocyanate 2 pack clear during the time that ridiculous rumours about how dangerous isocynates were, largely due to people's confusion with Cyanide which isn't chemically similar.

The Carlton uses PPG High solids clear, and the Viceroy UPOL High solids clear.

The tip I'd be very keen to give is don't put the lacquer on too thick. 2 coats gives a film thickness of 60 microns. You get away with three if you wait enough time between coats, but any more than that and you risk solvent pop. This is where the paint still contains solvents in the lower layers ehich tries to escape and dulls the finish as it does so. Consequently, it can't hold a gloss. This is often a problem for the DIY chap or low end bodyshop. It would be better to use two coats, reflat, two further coats. I think the basecoat can reabsorb/trap quite a lot of solvent too so the first coat of lacquer will act as a barrier to the solvents in the second as once set, it is only sparingly soluble. This is called flow-coating.

It you go on youtube, there is a really useful chanel called 'The Gunman' who explains every part of the process, except polishing/colour sanding which isn't seemingly necessary with a decent booth or technique, neither of which I have!
Old 28-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #8
steely dan
Sponge Jockey

Superb write up , very entertaining.
All are lovely but the Diplomat in particular ,I've always admired them. I have an Omega B estate that I bought 15 years ago , I initially wanted a Diplomat /Diamond estate but all that I looked at were very used and rusty which was very disappointing .I still look through the classifieds for that model......
I also understand the enjoyment of painting your own car and over the years have slowly gathered the knowledge to do it too. I did my E24 after spending two years single handedly restoring it and the satisfaction got was enormous .
Threads like yours are very encouraging to the many who are told that it is impossible to get a good finish at home ,well done .
steely dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #9
neilb62

Thanked 1,229 Times in 766 Posts
Send a message via MSN to neilb62
A superb collection there, takes me back to my Senator days, lovely...
neilb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #10
streaky

I do enjoy a Vauxhall restoration thread. Excellent write up. Thanks
streaky is offline   Reply With Quote