Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 16-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #21
atbalfour
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,623 Times in 976 Posts
Garage
BSD is a good value product and I always have some lying around and enjoy using it more when mixed with an uber slick QD type product (otherwise it's not nice to apply and the finish is grabby af).

I'll be the first in the thread to say that it will never go on my own cars though... then again I have spent the last year trying to find the holy grail in LSPs and in the process realised that BSD while hydrophobic is an entry level bargain basement product.

I've used it a lot in the past and sadly it does have a few big pitfalls which hopefully Sonax have remidied in their new 2021 ceramic spray product. Like PNS, BSD has no resistance to alkaline snow foams like auto foam, it's actually a dust magnet and comparatively poor at 'self cleaning', it adds no saturation and does nothing but detract from really well refined paint.

Everyone has different needs/wants/expectations though... it's got it's cult status through being very hydrophobic but there's a lot more to an LSP than that IMHO.

Last edited by atbalfour; 16-01-2021 at 05:02 PM.
atbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atbalfour For This Useful Post:
THE CHAMP (18-01-2021), Yellow Dave (16-01-2021)
Old 16-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #22
TonyHill

Whilst some of those comments may be true, for the price it simply can't be beaten. There are plenty of overhyped and overpriced products on the market that fail massively in all aspects.
Each to their own
TonyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyHill For This Useful Post:
Citromark (18-01-2021), THE CHAMP (18-01-2021)
Old 17-01-2021, 07:04 PM   #23
Kyle 86
Orbital Oracle

Its all I've used for the last few months. I've been lazy but BSD is all what you need

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Kyle 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 07:51 PM   #24
noorth
Orbital Oracle

BSD is really good but something like rapidwaxx is much better in looks IMO. Very smooth finish has well. There is value in some higher end products.

I will be doing a full paint correction next year. I honestly would cringe if someone put BSD on a really good polish job. Its a good maintenance product. Pretty finicky though, i never really got the application right. And i lost over half the bottle when it froze in my trunk. i don't leave LSP's in my car anymore.

So to answer the OP's question. Yes you need more.

After all the money i spent on polishes, pads, clay and machines etc i'm not going to be throwing on BSD. That would be silly.

Last edited by noorth; 17-01-2021 at 08:10 PM.
noorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 07:54 PM   #25
Hoppo32
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
BSD is a good value product and I always have some lying around and enjoy using it more when mixed with an uber slick QD type product (otherwise it's not nice to apply and the finish is grabby af).

I'll be the first in the thread to say that it will never go on my own cars though... then again I have spent the last year trying to find the holy grail in LSPs and in the process realised that BSD while hydrophobic is an entry level bargain basement product.

I've used it a lot in the past and sadly it does have a few big pitfalls which hopefully Sonax have remidied in their new 2021 ceramic spray product. Like PNS, BSD has no resistance to alkaline snow foams like auto foam, it's actually a dust magnet and comparatively poor at 'self cleaning', it adds no saturation and does nothing but detract from really well refined paint.

Everyone has different needs/wants/expectations though... it's got it's cult status through being very hydrophobic but there's a lot more to an LSP than that IMHO.
I have to agree, i really don't like BSD.
The weird thing is that i don't know why i don't like it (i really have tried).
I do find it grabby but i can live with that, i just find it underwhelming.
I actually bought 6 bottles (on offer cheap) when it first became the best thing since sliced bread on here and over the years i've given them all away except for half a bottle.
I suppose it's good that we all like different things, another thing i hate is wax. Despise the stuff.
Hoppo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #26
atbalfour

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppo32 View Post
I have to agree, i really don't like BSD.
The weird thing is that i don't know why i don't like it (i really have tried).
I do find it grabby but i can live with that, i just find it underwhelming.
I actually bought 6 bottles (on offer cheap) when it first became the best thing since sliced bread on here and over the years i've given them all away except for half a bottle.
I suppose it's good that we all like different things, another thing i hate is wax. Despise the stuff.
Probably because it does nothing but make the paint look and feel a bit meh lol - much like Gyeon Wetcoat another product that has cult following albeit amongst lazy people.

Also agree re. wax couldn't think of anything worse. Still have nightmares of having to stretch before attempting to remove BH Double Speed... thank feck my car back then had extremely hard paint or i'd have had it marred to a dealership standard.
Old 17-01-2021, 09:00 PM   #27
noorth
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
Probably because it does nothing but make the paint look and feel a bit meh lol - much like Gyeon Wetcoat another product that has cult following albeit amongst lazy people.

Also agree re. wax couldn't think of anything worse. Still have nightmares of having to stretch before attempting to remove BH Double Speed... thank feck my car back then had extremely hard paint or i'd have had it marred to a dealership standard.
I love wetcoat. Your saying i'm lazy?
noorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #28
atbalfour

Garage
Well there's no other reason to use it but to save time is there?

Shouldn't complain, I've had 4 or 5 polishing jobs this year to remove haze and streaking from over use of spray on rinse off products so in a way I'm glad they're popular.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to atbalfour For This Useful Post:
noorth (17-01-2021)
Old 18-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #29
westerman

Recently bought another two BSD, sometimes there are offers where buying 2 gets a decent discount.
Absolutely love BSD and if it's not slick enough a sprtiz of TAC shinee wax gives a lovely finish.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to westerman For This Useful Post:
Cookies (18-01-2021)
Old 18-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #30
\Rian

Garage
Ive been using BSD as a drying aid for the last year exclusively, no other LSP on the car and its been amazing.

Buy it in 5l and decant into a better spray bottle is a no brainer
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to \Rian For This Useful Post:
country boy (18-01-2021)