Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 15-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #21
steveo3002
Mr Sparkle

Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,082 Posts
Send a message via MSN to steveo3002
its all ive been using latley , ideal for uk winter when its damp out , i can mist round car after a wash and have it beading like crazy for a few pence and very little effort

cant think of anything thats close to matching it for the money
steveo3002 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steveo3002 For This Useful Post:
Citromark (16-02-2021)
Old 17-02-2021, 11:56 AM   #22
Clean-my-sxi
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Used to ise some of their stuff when i started but like everyone you come on here and start buying the other brands.

I used to love their nano extreme tyre gel and the paste wax. The paste wax is probably just as good as others but we probably all convince ourself its not

Cant say ive ever rated their shampoo, always put it in the same category as carplan shampoo, quite wax heavy.

Not used the newer stuff they do

Gotta say i actually miss using the stuff of the shelf, there are way too many companies making detailing products now i feel its kind of ruined it a bit for me as theres too much choice. The good old days of using a combination of turtle wax, collinite, and meguiars.

And speakeing of tesco, not sure if anyone remembers but they did a great cherry scent shampoo back in the day that eevryone went mad for

Last edited by Clean-my-sxi; 17-02-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Clean-my-sxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 03:23 PM   #23
roscopervis

Thanked 1,068 Times in 802 Posts
A lot of their new products are very good, as a lot of people have found out through a lot of youtube and forum tests and 'hype'. However, with the frankly 'snobbish' attitude of the majority of detailers, if it wasn't for those, I guarantee most on here would still look down on the brand.

Some of their products and marketing over the years hasn't helped, and lets face it, there has been some absolute rubbish put out, but they have also put out some really good stuff too.

I've always like to try stuff, especially if I can find it for a bargain on one of those end of line shelves for silly cheap money. I'm like a magpie to those deals and I'll try them and see what they're like. Over the years I've found lots of Turtlewax products that were actually very good, even in the 'dark days'. Let's test my memory -

Gloss Guard - Like Autoglym EGP but better. Didn't need a huge cure time and was a bit more durable.

Turtlewax Platinum Range - In particular, the shampoo which is the same as the very nice Zymol shampoo Halfords used to sell, but could be had cheaper. Also, the sealant, which was basically a rebadged Gloss Guard. The Cleaner Wax is also ok, but SRP is better, it performs more like Autoglym UDS.

Turtlewax Ice Range - The paste wax of this was actually pretty darn good. It was synthetic and was showing signs of the chemical resistance that SnS/HSW now does. The glass cleaner was also good and had some rain repellant built in which topped up glass sealants nicely. They had a clear wax that could be used all over the car that didn't stain, but this wasn't as good along with their detailer spray. Armorall's Shield which was out at the same time was loads better. This range also had a reactive wheel cleaner, but it had low levels of thingamybobic acid so needed lots to work.

At the same time, they had a range with a dark red bottle with silver stickers for the text/instructions. The sealer wax is another version of the old Gloss Guard type product. I tried it in my Fse test a few months ago and it basically was much less hydrophobic than the older TW sealants, it has titania in it and is a sheeter product. Water behaviour looked weak to start, but it was pretty much the same at the end when pretty much everything else including DSW, Collinite 915, TW HSW, Sonax Polymer Netshield and Wowo's Crystal Sealant had been wiped out either by Fse or a weird thunderstorm. It was still there. Weird, but protecting!

Revel in the bargains and judge them side by side with the big names, you might find that they may actually be better, even if people don't believe you...even with pictures and evidence.
roscopervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 03:26 PM   #24
roscopervis

Thanked 1,068 Times in 802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean-my-sxi View Post
And speakeing of tesco, not sure if anyone remembers but they did a great cherry scent shampoo back in the day that eevryone went mad for
I remember that! I had some cherry shampoo in the Car-Chem mystery box and that's what I remembered! I do remember that the Tesco shampoo was actually very aggressive and left a lot of residue so it wasn't good for gloss and if you weren't careful with your measurements, it wasn't very kind to protection either!
roscopervis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #25
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,725 Posts
Garage
It was a brand I'd never given much time to. I recall having some of their bottled wax many years ago, probably nearer 20 years ago now. Then getting into detailing and seeing the range that's out there, never really looked at their products.

More recently though, it seems they've reinvented their image by making some really good products that are comparing to the bigger detailing brands.

I'm looking forward to giving some of their stuff a go when I need to replace bits and pieces.
Alex_225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #26
PolarAMG
Unwashed Member

Used the TW Ceramics range and really rate them
PolarAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #27
SarahAnn

I like turtle wax. The spray sealant is the only thing I've ever used until I ran out and bought more. I've got a garage full of other stuff that I've tried once and haven't gone back to.
SarahAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 10:09 AM   #28
riz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHIZZER View Post
Their new range of stuff is very good and works equally as well a other "boutique" brands
I'm genuinely amazed how good dry and shine and seal and shine are.

The detailer in me wants to but boutique products but I can't see how they can be any better.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 10:39 AM   #29
HEADPHONES

Thanked 1,063 Times in 677 Posts
A regular user of their Hydrophobic Sealant Wax and Dry and Shine.

I remember using a few bottles of their Wax It Wet. It was my first time using something as a drying aid when it was first released.

My other favourite was their Platinum Series Wax.
Came in a green bottle.
Lovely smelling creamy liquid cleaner wax.
So smooth to apply and buff off and really pulled the dirt out of white paint.
I'd easily pay £20 a bottle of they re released it. Autoglym SRP and Autofinesse Tripple may give similar results but the user experience is no match.
I still have a tiny bit left which I use as a baseline to compare with new stuff that I've bought and it's still my favourite.
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #30
westerman

I have Sealant Wax and Dry and shine, both good. But this thread is full of nostalgia for me. My late Father in Law was, back in the 1960's, Chairman of the Alvis Owners Club (North) and had 2 Alvis's. He only used the best products and swore by Turtle Wax, but then it was the 'bees knees' in the day.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote