Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #11
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 8,493 Times in 5,613 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
I think so, once they ban fossil fuels full stop, then the collective muppetts in Whitehall will be running around like headless chickens trying to work out how to make up the £40 Billion shortfall in the coffers.
Then some bright spark - see what i did there? - will come up with the idea of putting a premium on so called "dirty electric" and what is that i hear you ask? Oh it will be anything they can put a label on it so they can ramp up the tariffs on the suppiers which will inevitably end up hitting everyone in the pocket.

It has far reaching consequences for me but i stand to be corrected
I too stand to be corrected and your absolutely correct at the fact that fuel duty collects £40 billion pounds for the treasury so I'm certain that electric car owners will be paying the bill in some way. I can just imagine those little airplane style black boxes fitted to cars so they collect all our driving data.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #12
Caledoniandream
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,323 Times in 908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul boy 68 View Post
10 years and 100,000 miles warranty, sounds interesting but don't be fooled in to thinking that electric cars will be cheap to run as the inevitable taxes of electricity use and pay per mile could come in to help Government recoup lost taxes from fuel duty as the electric car revolution gathers pace in the coming years IMO.
Nothing comes for nothing, we will always pay tax one way or another, but the prices of electric cars coming in the affordable price range.
They are mostly reliable, in 10 years time we will look different at things.
Running two PHEV vehicles at the moment and a hybrid, the phev are miles ahead on fuel usage and drivability, the torque is instant and the cars are quick of the spot
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 09:58 PM   #13
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 8,493 Times in 5,613 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledoniandream View Post
Nothing comes for nothing, we will always pay tax one way or another, but the prices of electric cars coming in the affordable price range.
They are mostly reliable, in 10 years time we will look different at things.
Running two PHEV vehicles at the moment and a hybrid, the phev are miles ahead on fuel usage and drivability, the torque is instant and the cars are quick of the spot
Interesting times ahead in an ever changing world, we shall see .
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
Caledoniandream (10-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 06:11 AM   #14
The Cueball
The Devil's Advocate

Thanked 12,729 Times in 7,082 Posts
Ehhh... planned obsolescence has been around in cars since 1923!

suds (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 06:27 AM   #15
bluechimp

Quote:
I too stand to be corrected and your absolutely correct at the fact that fuel duty collects £40 billion pounds for the treasury so I'm certain that electric car owners will be paying the bill in some way. I can just imagine those little airplane style black boxes fitted to cars so they collect all our driving data.
Not just that, but those who haven’t transitioned to Electric will have to pay the same premium as those that have if it goes on the suppliers, which is bonkers.
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluechimp For This Useful Post:
suds (11-06-2021)
Old 11-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #16
straight6hatch
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
I think so, once they ban fossil fuels full stop, then the collective muppetts in Whitehall will be running around like headless chickens trying to work out how to make up the £40 Billion shortfall in the coffers.
Then some bright spark - see what i did there? - will come up with the idea of putting a premium on so called "dirty electric" and what is that i hear you ask? Oh it will be anything they can put a label on it so they can ramp up the tariffs on the suppiers which will inevitably end up hitting everyone in the pocket.

It has far reaching consequences for me but i stand to be corrected
Correct. I remember doing a study on the taxes around cigarettes when I was studying business. We studied the rise of information surrounding the negative health effects of smoking & the subsequent tax increase on that product which then caused a decrease in purchasing as people quit. We then had to discuss the alternative sources of taxation that the government would have to take to keep their revenue up. Not the same obviously but a similar principle.

Its just like the £0 RFL that hybrids and low Co2 cars had some years ago now. It was such a great selling point for them until the goverment cottoned on and now, surprise surprise, those same cars are no longer £0 when new
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 04:08 PM   #17
Mugwump
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
I remain unconvinced that a cars battery will last anything near 100,000 miles as a well cared for and maintained ICE engine can easily go round the clock and exceed 150,000 miles. We all know batteries in general degrade over time and won't hold their charge as long. I don't won't to spend extortionate amounts of money on an electric car for the cars batteries to die before you reach 100,000 miles. I purchase cars to keep for it's entire life.
Most cars (in the UK at least) die due to expensive or not safely repairable crash damage, or due to rust and rot. If they are kept decently maintained/regularly serviced, most petrol/diesel powered engines will carry on running way beyond the life of the car, and even those that fail can usually be repaired without too much difficulty. Even with regard to the poorly regarded Rover K series, there are a fairly significant number still out there with well over 200k miles on them.

Batteries may be fine for those using their car frequently and for significant mileages, but even with the latest types of battery which so many wax lyrical about, they still deteriorate very quickly if left long periods without the car being used, or used infrequently for very short runs.

There is also the not insignificant matter of the cost of generating the necessary electricity to recharge all these electric cars. At present in the UK, a large proportion of our electricity is generated from fossil fuel - whilst coal has been virtually phased out now except for short periods of high demand, we are still relying heavily on closed cycle gas turbine generation, which one would expect to follow coal generation into the history books.

The supposedly 'green' generation alternatives are hugely more costly, and once these replace the cheaper fossil fuel generation altogether, we can realistically expect the price of electricity to increase very significantly - electric cars may not look the economically acceptable alternative to ICE that they do currently. If the Government of the day decide to lump extra tax onto electric car owners to recoup the amount that they currently get from ICE owners (via VED or fuel taxes), I fully expect that car usage (and not JUST ownership) will simply be unnaffordable for most ordinary people.
Mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:53 PM   #18
Rob_Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledoniandream View Post
Most modern electric cars you can get 10 years or 100,000 miles warranty, do you get that with a Petrol.?
I've just taken a quick look at
Tesla - 4 years
Skoda - 5 years / 100,000 miles (for an extra cost)
Kia - unlimited mileage up to 36 months, and for 100,000 miles between 37 and 84 months
Nissan Leaf - A three-year/60,000-mile

... where is all these cars with 10 year warranties?
Rob_Quads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #19
Caledoniandream

Thanked 1,323 Times in 908 Posts
Was reading a piece of information about the amount of electricity available, they stated 90% of the cars can and will charge out of peak hours.
I have one of these new fangled chargers on the house and it charges when there is less demand on the net, and also if there is les demand in my house.
It sometimes complete a charge in 3-4 times.
This is only 7 kWh, but fast enough for our requirements.

The average car journey in the UK is less than 10 mile.
The amount of plug-in points increases at a great rate, we have a 150 kWh plug in point in the village, charging your Porsche or Tesla in something like 18 minutes to 80%.

On the up point, how far are you from an electricity cable at any time of day?
They could easily make kerbside chargers in the ground in every street.

Ye swe are going to pay for it, but we are paying regardless, at least the ones who convert now have a couple of years cheap motoring, before we get charged.

Regarding low use of batteries, there is a proces of Octopus electricity, I believe in Kent, where you car is linked up to your house, when the tariff is low and the on the net allows, it charges your car, when the tarif is high it takes the cheap power of your car to run your house, so even if you are not driving your battery is on the move.
Good for the power stations as they don’t have to switch on and off, good for you as you pay a lesser charge.

What today looks impossible, is tomorrow already succeeded by something better.
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote