Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 17-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #71
Rayaan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,321 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121DOM View Post
Out of interest what are real mileage reductions now the weather is warm / hot and have the aircon on?
We don’t own electric yet as the honest (french !!??) salespeople for several brand we have spoken to said 50% - 60% reduction in range. I can probably believe them as 99% of EV’s you see have all the windows down and some very hot and uncomfortable looking occupants .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have a UX300e. It's only been used for mainly town driving but we get a consistent 170 miles regardless of AC being on. When off the range does go up to 196 miles but it's not enough to worry about to be honest. You can easily run them down to 1 mile range and still have some juice left over

The car was showing around 157 miles (not fully charged) and I did 40 miles. The indicator went down by 37
Rayaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 11:28 PM   #72
D3KCA
Unwashed Member

So I had my first experience of range reduction further with the addition of roof bars and bikes. Still managed to get to centr parcs and back with a free top up from the parcs. All in all yes the etron range is not great but the build quality and charging speed for me made me want it.
D3KCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2021, 07:30 AM   #73
121DOM
Washmitt Meister

https://www.ai-ways.eu/en/u5/

Anybody know anything about these ? Popped up in and advert during the MotoGP at the weekend

The interior of the U6 is certainly different

121DOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #74
Coops

Garage
In a Tesla 3 Performance for a couple of days, colleague has his brand new one delivered and it developed a motor fault the next day. So Tesla have given him this replacement and as it has free supercharging I've borrowed it.

What's it like? It's ok. That's it, nothing really special to say. Seats are awful compared to my Volvo ones. I think they're leather seats but it's bordering on the side of plastic / vinyl.

Rest of the car is just a bit "meh". Interior is boring. Tech is ok, but not really that different to the Volvo (i don't need to change the dashboard to a fireplace nor have a sketch pad as I'm not 5!).

And if I have one more colleague say "they're fast aren't they". Yes it is, but all electric cars are quick. It's like saying I've bought a boat and it floats really well!

I pretty much knew that I didn't want a Tesla, but this has just confirmed my initial thoughts. It's not inviting to drive either, a bit soul-less. Trying to organise a back to back drive in the Jag i-Pace vs Audi e-tron which Jaguar are running.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:45 PM   #75
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,300 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121DOM View Post
Out of interest what are real mileage reductions now the weather is warm / hot and have the aircon on?
We don’t own electric yet as the honest (french !!??) salespeople for several brand we have spoken to said 50% - 60% reduction in range. I can probably believe them as 99% of EV’s you see have all the windows down and some very hot and uncomfortable looking occupants .

During summer months a full charge on my 40kWh leaf will show between 150-180 miles. In the winter it can show between 110-130. I’ve not driven more than 60 miles in a single trip for well over a year thanks to new job and covid. So it’s never been drained to see what I would actually get. If I turn the heaters a/c on I can lose 4-6miles off the total range according to the predicted range on the dashboard.
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #76
Coops

Garage
Having my boss' Merc EQC for a week when I come back from holidays.

Be a good real world test. He's getting 210 mile range from it.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:03 AM   #77
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 8,493 Times in 5,613 Posts
Garage
I’ll always maintain my view that EV won’t be to everyone’s mobility needs, I believe hydrogen and bio fuels will be other alternatives on offer.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
Coops (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 09:11 AM   #78
Coops

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul boy 68 View Post
I’ll always maintain my view that EV won’t be to everyone’s mobility needs, I believe hydrogen and bio fuels will be other alternatives on offer.
Yes, I agree. It'll work for some people but not for others. Ultimately I can see the UK going to a mix of fuels - EV, hydrogen etc in the same way we have petrol and diesel now.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:47 AM   #79
cangri
Orbital Oracle

Send a message via Yahoo to cangri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Yes, I agree. It'll work for some people but not for others. Ultimately I can see the UK going to a mix of fuels - EV, hydrogen etc in the same way we have petrol and diesel now.
To bad not many companies invest in Hydrogen solution.

Electricity is good, but just shifts to where pollution is created. From city to outside city where electricity is produced and batteries.
cangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:16 PM   #80
shl-kelso
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cangri View Post
To bad not many companies invest in Hydrogen solution.

Electricity is good, but just shifts to where pollution is created. From city to outside city where electricity is produced and batteries.

Hydrogen production/transport/delivery is many times more energy intensive than just delivering electricity into batteries, and most of that process uses the same electricity that would otherwise be used to charge batteries too. Even if the electricity used all came from renewables you could still use it to drive many times more miles for the generated output using batteries compared to using energy to created the H2 for fuel cells. So for small vehicles it makes little or no sense.

Where H2 should have a major role in future is in large vehicle power - HGVs, trains, ships etc, where battery size/cost and charging infrastructure requirements (to provide suitable rapid charging hubs) make it difficult to use battery-only EV technology. But it’s also chicken and egg - vehicle manufacturers cannot provide these vehicles until there is a nationwide fuelling infrastructure that can be used by potential customers, and a whole new level of fuel handling, maintenance training/expertise is needed across the entire industry too.
shl-kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shl-kelso For This Useful Post:
Soul boy 68 (09-07-2021)