Detailing World Forum banner

SteveTDCi's van....

12K views 81 replies 15 participants last post by  Bristle Hound 
#1 ·
After what appears to be ages looking at cheap caravans on ebay that have now increased in value I've finally put a deposit on something.

Original budget was £4000, so what have i bought .... a brand new Swift Basecamp 2.

It arrives in June, or July .....

#4 ·
There isn't much choice to be honest, its either a Basecamp2 - which sleeps 2 or the Basecamp 4 which sleeps 4. They are both the same size van its just on the 4 the living area is smaller which means smaller bed (the 2 is superking size) and the drop down beds are suitable up to 70kgs which is fine for kids but not adults. So we went with the bigger bed.

Its quite a short van, overall length is just over 5 metres so its small enough to store on a drive, although I have found storage.

Now I just need to book Silverstone as thats the reason I bought it.

#7 ·
I'm kind of hoping that they find it too small and a little bit different to tow behind a transit. It will be going into storage when not in use, but yes security is something i'm looking into. Although at the minute i'm looking at plates and saucepans !

#11 ·
Congrats & welcome to the club Steve :thumb:

Someone was on our site with a Basecamp 2 but didn't get a chance to have a chat as it was :censored: it down lol

Go for the black Alko hitch lock for the reasons below

The red Alko hitchlock is to easy to get off I'm told hence why I changed to the black version
Its not cheap but worth it for the peace of mind alone. Just don't drop it on your foot. It weighs a ton!
https://www.alko-tech.com/uk/safety-premium-plus-and-compact-safety-locks

Oh & wheel locks, if it was me I would go with the Alko one. Can be a bit of pain to fit at times but its a real :censored: to get off
More info here -
https://www.al-ko-secure.co.uk/

& yes I have 2 of these :lol:

#12 ·
Becoming popular wee vans - last time we were out there was one next to us and i saw 2 getting towed today and i know of another nearby on a drive.

As a "lifestyle" van, i do think they should have a model where the whole back opens for those maybe wanting to load a motorbike or go-kart or something bigger than a cycle.

#41 ·
Congrats Steve :thumb:
Looks fab

I got 5 litres of Infinity Wax Rapid Detailer on the cheap which I use on my 'van
Do the windows & bodywork of the van with this stuff

I usually wash my 'van on the drive at home before we go away so always give it a quick coat of the IW RD

I also use it to wipe down the front of the van before I put my front cover to spare any scratches while putting it on

PS Need more pic's ;):D