Detailing World Forum banner

My dream garage is underway

144K views 201 replies 79 participants last post by  JwilliamsM 
#1 ·
Being into cars all my life i've always wanted a decent sized garage, but never had one or room for one.
Bought my first home last year with er'indoors, which came with a garage albiet too narrow for even a BMW Isetta to fit in! But the land around the house had room for a bigger garage on the side.
Had plans drawn up to build a bigger garage on the side of the existing one, with the wall knocked through to make it into one big space. Waited anxiously for 8 weeks and i was granted planning permission :D:D:D Currently there is a poxy small toilet and sink at the rear of the garage, and i've decided to knock that down and have a perfect rectangle shape to work with.

Also at the same time we're having a new roof on the main house, and when the extension is complete a new roof there too, and the whole house rendered.

We had a wall going along most of the front of the house and a small front garden, which i had reduced by half and garden removed, to make basically a 5/6 car drive.

Anyway that's just a few thing's i've had done to the outside since we moved in.

I'm going for remote control roller shutter doors, keeping the existing garage door aperture size with a new roller shutter, and hopefully a 3.5 - 4 metre door next to it the other size of the pillar.
Inside i want an epoxy resin floor, plastered walls, central heating + hot cold water (easy as there's pipes for the existing toilet there), lot's of electric sockets and some silly bright lighting - what ones though?

Hard to explain in words but you can see from the plans what it will be like.

I'll keep taking photos of the progress, hope you find it interesting!

Plans of the front
20170806_011012 by Jason, on Flickr

Only pic i could find of the old wall
IMG_2875 by Jason, on Flickr

Before we moved in with garden to right
Untitled by Jason, on Flickr

After knocking wall down and slabbed over garden (this will be tarmaced, not happy with it)

Site for the new garage, as you can see it's on a slope which follows the main road outside our close
20170730_164830 by Jason, on Flickr
20170730_164816 by Jason, on Flickr

Work underway
20170801_180814 by Jason, on Flickr
20170801_180808 by Jason, on Flickr
20170801_180806 by Jason, on Flickr
20170801_154607 by Jason, on Flickr

One of my cats having a nose as usual
20170805_135840 by Jason, on Flickr
20170805_135833 by Jason, on Flickr
20170805_135826 by Jason, on Flickr

Concrete base will be going down in the week i believe. The new garage will go back as far as the french doors of the rear room, at the very rear will be a patio.

Will keep updating :thumb:

See less See more
#14 ·
yep it was a total waste of space as it was, it was my plan since before moving in to flatten it for my garage

Nice space you have and stunning car (BMW) looking forward to the outcome will be keeping an eye on this thread
thanks mate, will be agony trying to keep it clean the next month/2/3 with all this building work, maybe ill take it to the turks.............:devil::lol:

This is going to be a huge garage, you lucky Devil, looking forward to the updates.

View attachment 51808
i hope it will be big enough, got this nagging doubt it will be smaller than i want! everyone says though until the bricks go up a plot can look small.

few more pics

20170808_181711 by Jason, on Flickr
20170808_182153 by Jason, on Flickr
20170808_182202 by Jason, on Flickr
20170808_182156 by Jason, on Flickr

#25 ·
cant give a date, as there's so much else going on too. the roof of the main house has been renewed, tomorrow the pebble dashing is being hacked off, then it being rendered. then once the garage walls are up, all the lower half of the house and the new walls are being done, plus the new roof on the extention and lower parts of the house.
also i want the slabs at the front pulled up and all the front tarmacked and level.
so quite a bit left to do still. really looking forward to doing the inside of the garage out :D

#32 ·
well i want good lighting, anyone link me some good strips?
chosen the big sink and tap i want already, seen a BOTT workbench i fancy, plenty of power points, a radiator (already one in there technically) and i want the floor epoxy resin.

those are the main things, what else have i missed? would love some more ideas everyone :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.