Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 15-07-2018, 12:18 AM   #21
RedUntilDead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Had an e92 for the last eight years and stick with Goodyear eagles, love them but I don’t drive F1. Michelin have historically been my go to but they are far too expensive for no real world difference IMO
Many on the bm forums are of the same opinion.
Asking a question like this though just receives personal opinions. We all have different driving needs or commutes.Best to read up and stick with what you feel happy with. Branded tyres in your size will all be premium.
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedUntilDead For This Useful Post:
J306TD (15-07-2018)
Old 15-07-2018, 12:21 AM   #22
J306TD
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,118 Times in 944 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to J306TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedUntilDead View Post
Had an e92 for the last eight years and stick with Goodyear eagles, love them but I don’t drive F1. Michelin have historically been my go to but they are far too expensive for no real world difference IMO
Many on the bm forums are of the same opinion.
Asking a question like this though just receives personal opinions. We all have different driving needs or commutes.Best to read up and stick with what you feel happy with. Branded tyres in your size will all be premium.
The BM forums I have found to just be full of people saying bin the runflats. Or just making pasing comments.

I'd prefer to ask on here as it's not just the best detailing website but the off topic chats are some of the best places too. I know I'm not going to get a ********** answer on here but trusted honest reviews or feedback are what I'm after.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
J306TD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J306TD For This Useful Post:
Cookies (15-07-2018)
Old 15-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #23
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 6,602 Times in 4,568 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J306TD View Post
The BM forums I have found to just be full of people saying bin the runflats. Or just making pasing comments.

I'd prefer to ask on here as it's not just the best detailing website but the off topic chats are some of the best places too. I know I'm not going to get a ********** answer on here but trusted honest reviews or feedback are what I'm after.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Hi bud.

I have the Goodyear F1 Assymetric 2 runflats on my f30. To be completely honest, I haven't seen any reason to change to another runflat when I need tyres. They have loads of grip in the dry, and the same in the wet. I do find them a bit crashy, but a good friend has an F30 too, albeit on Bridgestone potenza runflats, and his is exactly the same.

They wear really well too. I'm currently on 34k and there's over 5mm remaining. Now, I do use winter wheels and tyres, so probably take around 14 or 15k off that. Even so, that's fairly good going in any case.

Hope you get sorted.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
J306TD (15-07-2018)
Old 15-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #24
RoyW80
Washmitt Meister

Had potenzas on my F30 - had no complaints with them and as mentioned above previously wear is good also - i had +20k out of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RoyW80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #25
carl123uk
Washmitt Meister

Unless you do track days then there all about the same. I've had everything from cheap Chinese tyres to £250 a corner and could honestly tell no difference whatsoever.
carl123uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #26
matty.13
Orbital Oracle

I’ve always like Bridgestone myself but they don’t seem to get that good reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matty.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #27
sevenfourate
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl123uk View Post
Unless you do track days then there all about the same. I've had everything from cheap Chinese tyres to £250 a corner and could honestly tell no difference whatsoever.
Wow.

If that's an honest and truthful assessment, then dare i say; it could be something to do with the cars you've had ?

I'm into my hot-hatches - and on a couple i've owned; the tyre choice has almost been critical to the enjoyment of the drive. The 'right' tyres absolutely improving the driving of the car. And a poor (Often; but not solely going hand in hand with cheap or budget) choice being especially noticeable / butt clenching in wet conditions, on adverse camber / poor / less than dead flat tarmac etc. And in my years of motorcycling; tyre choice is even more personal and even more customisable - not to mention noticeable - to your riding style / mileage / machine ridden etc etc

To suggest all tyres are 'pretty much the same' astounds me quite frankly.....
sevenfourate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #28
mikster
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl123uk View Post
Wtf? they are not all the same.
mikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #29
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 6,602 Times in 4,568 Posts
Garage
I've had some truly awful cheap and not so cheap tyres. Most are ok in the dry, however, in wet conditions, I've been really shocked how bad some tyres are. Back in 2009, I bought a VW Passat, it was 3 years old, and the dealer said he'd fit 4 new tyres, which turned out to be Diamondback. In the dry, they were grand. In the snow, bizarrely, they were brilliant. However, in the wet, they were downright dangerous - it was like driving on ice, literally.

I've tried Nexen, which weren't bad, Nankang (just ok) and Landsail (really awful wet handling).

Bizarrely, back in 1996, I put a set of Uniroyal RTT2 on my rover 216sli, and they were awful in the wet. Recently, I fitted Uniroyal Rainsport 3 to my wife's DS3, and they're brilliant.

All my own opinion, obviously.

I now just stick to mid range or premium tyres, and I've never had any issues. Bridgestone offered fantastic levels of grip, but didn't wear particularly well for me. In smaller sizes they were better, funnily enough.

Pirelli were good, and Michelin were excellent, but very expensive. My favourites to date are definitely Goodyear Eagle F1. A brilliant tyre, that gives a brilliant mix of wear and grip.

Just a few of my own personal experiences.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #30
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,008 Times in 2,544 Posts
I dislike runflats, on a FWD car they are horrible, on a RWD car they are not as bad, Having driven various BMWs with and without them I would always choose to be without them.

I do find that the F series cars cope better with runflats compare to the E series cars, my preference would be Goodyear however Goodyears like to step on the inside edge, all BMWs seem to scrub the outside edges.

You can get Jinyus in runflat, Firestone do them to and there are Falkens as well although the larger the wheel the less choice there is. If you have runflats and are happy with how it drives then stay with them, however if you want a little mores softness then change to std tyres.
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote