Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

Old 09-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Trix
Orbital Oracle

Running exterior gas pipe for new boiler

One thing I forgot to add to the original post is my existing boiler has a 15mm pipe feeding the gas supply and will need to be changed to 22mm. This would mean ripping up the laminate floor in the hall/lounge to access the floorboards. My plumber has suggested running the pipe out/up and across instead. Apart from aesthetics what would you say is a better option?
Trix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
staffordian
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Just about everyone who has a new boiler is confronted with this problem and as far as I can see, just about all of them have the 22mm pipe run direct from the meter, externally to either the boiler location or a convenient entry point.
staffordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #3
Trix
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffordian View Post
Just about everyone who has a new boiler is confronted with this problem and as far as I can see, just about all of them have the 22mm pipe run direct from the meter, externally to either the boiler location or a convenient entry point.
Thanks mate.. I suppose I could run it under the flooring at a later date, maybe when the flooring needs changing.
Old 26-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
RedUntilDead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I see this a lot but I personally think it looks naff. Some retro fit installs have no alternative such as a friend of mine who had to somehow pass through hallway, staircase with solid walls and floors. We went out and around on the outside wall.
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
James_R

Thanked 1,356 Times in 1,052 Posts
Garage
I came home to my house a few months ago, and my driveway goes between our house and next doors towards my garage.

The left hand side is the wall of my neighbours house and they had a new boiler fitted and new copper piping from the front of the house upwards, to about 2.0m high, then horizontal all the way along the side wall on my drive to the back of the house.

So instead of having a nice drive and just a nice clean wall either side I've got this horrible run of copper piping

It looked crap to start with, but since it has started to dull off and gradually go black it doesn't stand out or look as bad.

I thought it was pretty bad form that the neighbours didn't tell me or ask my opinion as to what I thought before they did it.
But by all accounts they left it to the plumbers.

They came round a few days later and said they were having all the soffits and fascias replaced and that they would need access off my driveway (which is behind locked gates)
I said fair comment how long for, just a day?
They said they would need a scaffold on it for up to two weeks, so I wouldn't be able to park my car on my drive, OR get my other car out the garage.
I told them that ain't gonna happen my old fruit - forget it.

...and they did
James_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
mar00
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_R View Post
I came home to my house a few months ago, and my driveway goes between our house and next doors towards my garage.

The left hand side is the wall of my neighbours house and they had a new boiler fitted and new copper piping from the front of the house upwards, to about 2.0m high, then horizontal all the way along the side wall on my drive to the back of the house.

So instead of having a nice drive and just a nice clean wall either side I've got this horrible run of copper piping

It looked crap to start with, but since it has started to dull off and gradually go black it doesn't stand out or look as bad.
if thats a gas feed I think it would have to be in steel pipe or have some mechanical protection, especially if it's below head height,

same for OP if gas is external,

apparently not anymore, you would think regulations would get stronger not reduced, but certainly would still be best practice, :-), we need to bring back real engineers, apprenticeships and people with pride in their work :-)

Last edited by mar00; 26-01-2019 at 02:57 PM.
mar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
Darlofan

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,077 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_R View Post

I thought it was pretty bad form that the neighbours didn't tell me or ask my opinion as to what I thought before they did it.
But by all accounts they left it to the plumbers.

They came round a few days later and said they were having all the soffits and fascias replaced and that they would need access off my driveway (which is behind locked gates)
I said fair comment how long for, just a day?
They said they would need a scaffold on it for up to two weeks, so I wouldn't be able to park my car on my drive, OR get my other car out the garage.
I told them that ain't gonna happen my old fruit - forget it.

...and they did

My idea of a nightmare neighbour🙄
Scaffolders knocked on mine about a month ago to see if I knew neighbour as he was out. They'd come to remove his scaffold from back of house. He has full width extension so no access to back except through his garage. I let them use ours, got them a ladder to get over fence and made them a tea. Neighbour came round with a case of beer for me later that week.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
James_R (26-01-2019)
Old 26-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
James_R

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar00 View Post
if thats a gas feed I think it would have to be in steel pipe or have some mechanical protection, especially if it's below head height,

apparently not anymore, you would think regulations would get stronger not reduced, but certainly would still be best practice, :-), we need to bring back real engineers, apprenticeships and people with pride in their work :-)
It goes immediately up from the gas box, then the main run is overhead height along the wall to the back of the house where it goes in to the boiler.
Old 26-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
James_R

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar00 View Post

Yep, its a lot of the case of whatever is cheapest, easiest, fastest...
Old 27-01-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
Trix
Orbital Oracle

We had our boiler fixed and as it it took two weeks and more then one visit (terrible Baxi service) I gave them a right b*********! They came round and replaced almost everything in the boiler.

So as there is no rush now I will consider taking up the laminate and replacing it in the summer. At which point I'll run the 22mm gas pipe ready for the new boiler.