Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

Old 11-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #21
Pauly.22
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Just had an ideal one fitted.

Seems ok so far
Pauly.22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pauly.22 For This Useful Post:
Trix (14-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #22
G.P
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydunk View Post
It may have a long warranty but you still don’t want it to break down. The after care on some warranties is rubbish too. They try to get out of things and take ages to respond. Worcester’s is excellent and vaillant seem quite good. I have heard ideal isn’t great.
Thats true, Worcester are excellent when called out and I'm told have the most vans/engineers on the road in the UK, what I don't know is if thats because they sell more boilers than most or their boilers fail allot more than others. Couple of local installers here in Worcestershire have stopped recommending Worcester together with some employees I know only buying their boilers because of the staff discount. Can the others Ideal/Glowworm be that much worse..
G.P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G.P For This Useful Post:
Trix (14-01-2019)
Old 26-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #23
RedUntilDead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Have you picked one yet?
Veismann and intergas are excellent but probably overkill for you.
Ideal - not for me. Cheap crap but good supply as they are stocked by merchants and fitted by housing associations.
WB green stars are good and come with loads of recommendations.
I bought a valliant as the Odell I chose had the best performance for my needs.BUT be careful, valliant use their own comms so they may not fully function with other smart controls I.e it will just be on/off and it won’t modulate properly. For proper functionality use valliants own smart controls. Most smart control engineers I have met don’t know this either.
The new Baxi boilers have good warranties, UK made and really easy to install and for this reason we’ll liked by installers.

Don’t over size and pick the model that you fancy. You won’t go wrong with any of the boilers mentioned tbh (I would avoid ideal though from my own experience )
Fitters stick to what they know and what they can get hold off quickly so you won’t always get advice tailored to what works best for you.

Will the boiler be on show? Some are ugly looking. Some are even made to fit inside a standard kitchen unit
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedUntilDead For This Useful Post:
Trix (27-01-2019)
Old 26-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #24
G.P
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedUntilDead View Post
Have you picked one yet?
Veismann and intergas are excellent but probably overkill for you.
Ideal - not for me. Cheap crap but good supply as they are stocked by merchants and fitted by housing associations.
WB green stars are good and come with loads of recommendations.
I bought a valliant as the Odell I chose had the best performance for my needs.BUT be careful, valliant use their own comms so they may not fully function with other smart controls I.e it will just be on/off and it won’t modulate properly. For proper functionality use valliants own smart controls. Most smart control engineers I have met don’t know this either.
The new Baxi boilers have good warranties, UK made and really easy to install and for this reason we’ll liked by installers.

Don’t over size and pick the model that you fancy. You won’t go wrong with any of the boilers mentioned tbh (I would avoid ideal though from my own experience )
Fitters stick to what they know and what they can get hold off quickly so you won’t always get advice tailored to what works best for you.

Will the boiler be on show? Some are ugly looking. Some are even made to fit inside a standard kitchen unit
Boilers seem to be like detailing products!

Having recently spoken with a local boiler R&D employee, think I'll steer clear of Worcester & Baxi. Intergas back up is apparently not so good with Valliant suffering more problems than its lower boiler Glowworm as more to fail on the Valliant.

Kind of leaves me to Glow-worm or the cheap crap Ideal. A local letting agent also fits Ideal when required and has done for the last 6 years, to date no problems so maybe housing associations are right.

For me though, whichever make I pick, I shall oversize as nothing worse than having a boiler that struggles (mainly the cheapest 24kW) when your in the shower and others start using hot water..

Last edited by G.P; 26-01-2019 at 04:36 PM.
G.P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G.P For This Useful Post:
Trix (27-01-2019)
Old 27-01-2019, 04:23 PM   #25
Russ
Sponge Jockey

I have the ideal vogue combi boiler, 40kw jobby.

10 year warranty and is fantastic.

Every quote I got from people all said what a great boiler it was, oddly all said that Worcester were living off their past a little and aren’t what they were. Also the cost for an equivalent Worcester compared to the Ideal was huge.

Ideal had an issue with the ixos range I think it was but the vogue was redesigned up from scratch and back on form.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ For This Useful Post:
G.P (28-01-2019), Trix (29-01-2019)
Old 27-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #26
Rundie

We've got an Alpha boiler fitted in our new build, only been here 18mths but it's been superb. Read online feedback before we moved in and they seem a reasonable option.
Rundie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rundie For This Useful Post:
Trix (29-01-2019)
Old 27-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #27
LeadFarmer

Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,074 Posts
Garage
Be careful with long warranties, boiler manufacturers will take samples of the water in your system and claim there are too many particles and void your claim. Expect to drain your system and fill with expensive bottled mineral water for it to pass.
LeadFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LeadFarmer For This Useful Post:
Trix (29-01-2019)
Old 27-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #28
Rundie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
Be careful with long warranties, boiler manufacturers will take samples of the water in your system and claim there are too many particles and void your claim. Expect to drain your system and fill with expensive bottled mineral water for it to pass.
Also softened water, most will void warranties if the heating side is filled using softened water even though it has been proven not to be harmful. Use the water softener bypass to fill the heating, not usually an issue on the hot water side as the heat exhanger is stainless.
Rundie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rundie For This Useful Post:
Trix (29-01-2019)
Old 28-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #29
RedUntilDead

G.P is not wrong about picking a boiler. Regarding sizing though, most can modulate down to 10Kw for central heating (talking about the bigger boilers). Rather than picking just on name/brand have a look at the boilers specs. The model I picked for our home was for the hot water flow rate as much as anything. Our Hot water runs as fast as the cold and you can have a shower (mixer) run the bathroom sink and do the dishes all at th3 same time with no performance drop off. My mains in is normally between 1.5 - 2bar at 19 litres a minute.
Ps didn’t intend to insult the Ideal owners, we all have our own experience but I see a lot in my line of work. Maybe ask another good question about best tyres to buy
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedUntilDead For This Useful Post:
G.P (30-01-2019), Trix (29-01-2019)
Old 28-01-2019, 10:03 PM   #30
dholdi

There is a famous Clint Eastwood quotation that would be most apt for this thread.
dholdi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dholdi For This Useful Post:
Trix (29-01-2019)