Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 18-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
RedUntilDead
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

White road marking paint removal

Holidaying in Cornwall this week, staying in St Ives and on one of the smaller back roads I have picked up splashes of white all down the nearside of my vehicle which will now sit for a week. Looked like the remains of a broken bucket with a mix in scattered across the road. I thought I had aimed the car to miss but must of caught a piece of plastic which I could hear bouncing off under the car and this has obviously flicked the paint everywhere.
I presume clay, ipa or the usual will sort the main bodywork but the tyres and black plastic trims are covered. What’s the best method for removal regarding my trims? The chemicals mentioned will do no favours for the crappy Nissan plastics.
Presume it’s line marker as the roads are freshly done.

It’s a navara so being high up I think has helped disperse the paint unfortunately.
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
wish wash

You need to get it off asap before it starts to harden more and is harder to remove. Baby wipes generally do a good job on plastics. You need things with solvents in to loosen it up
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wish wash For This Useful Post:
RedUntilDead (21-08-2018)
Old 18-08-2018, 10:21 PM   #3
Spinonit
Washmitt Meister

I was asked by my local Maserati dealership to help them with a similar, but rather extreme version of your problem. The car was literally covered everywhere with line marking paint on the £20k factory option matt black paintwork.

They had tried thinners, tar & glue and clay (which had started to leave the paint satin, rather than matt.

We used Autosmart’s Preptone, which made a very easy job of it - literally wipe on, wipe off with no marring. Even the scary dealer principal was impressed and said it had saved them a £20k respray
Spinonit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spinonit For This Useful Post:
Cyclonetog (18-08-2018), RedUntilDead (21-08-2018), suds (29-08-2018)
Old 18-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
TonyHill

£20k paint option, blimey......they saw him coming!
TonyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 10:29 PM   #5
RedUntilDead

Had a play yesterday. Washed and dried as per usual method. For the bodywork I tried a microfibre soaked in ipa. Gentle wipes allowing the line paint to soak and it came off a treat. Washed and waxed again. Only completed one panel as it’s a big vehicle and it’s a slow process. Tried hand cleaning wipes on the hard plastics which works but is even slower but at least I know the black plastics won’t turn white.
Maybe the fresh lsp dealer prep helped with preventing a good level of adhesion?
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 07:19 AM   #6
RandomlySet
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,593 Times in 2,488 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinonit View Post
I was asked by my local Maserati dealership to help them with a similar, but rather extreme version of your problem. The car was literally covered everywhere with line marking paint on the £20k factory option matt black paintwork.

They had tried thinners, tar & glue and clay (which had started to leave the paint satin, rather than matt.

We used Autosmart’s Preptone, which made a very easy job of it - literally wipe on, wipe off with no marring. Even the scary dealer principal was impressed and said it had saved them a £20k respray
I hope you charged him at least £10k for the job (he'd still be 10k up in theory )
RandomlySet is offline   Reply With Quote