Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Tech & Gadget Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Tech & Gadget Zone Gadgety, Techy or even a Techy Gadget! Stick a post in here! Sponsored by SlimsDetailing - inspired by anybody who has a car they love and care for

Old 25-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
tmitch45
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Sky Broadband - which router

We are having sky broadband and TV installed tomorrow. Those who know me know I've always said I'd never pay silly money for sky. Well with the stupid amount our BT broadband and phone is now costing, Sky's package (18 months) with TV (all sports inc F1), Unlimited Phone and Fibre is only a few quid more a month!

Anyway the new sky router arrived yesterday but it only has 2 ports to hard wire devices to, the existing BT router has 5. My question is do I have to use the sky router? Once the sky fitter goes can I just unplug it and plug the BT one back in or is it not that simple?

Also how much say do I get as to where the sky dish goes and where they put the cables and drill into the wall? My brother had Sky installed last year and they made a right mess with cables everywhere. He asked them before they started to put the cable across his loft and then to drop it externally down the wall and then in next to the telly but the fitter said that required too much work and as he was "only" paying £35 installation fee they had to do it the easiest way possible.

Last edited by tmitch45; 25-01-2019 at 04:18 PM.
tmitch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
dholdi

At one time you needed to extract the details from your Sky router and put them in the config file of the router you wanted to use. I now believe that the details don't have to be specific to your router but they do need to be in the format that sky's equipment is expecting.
This means the BT router is very unlikely to be plug and play but with some research and alterations could be made to work.
If its just the lack of ports that's an issue you could use a network switch.
dholdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dholdi For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (25-01-2019)
Old 25-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
mar00
PC Perfectionist

as @dholdi said for router, bt routers a terrible anyway, i you need more network ports just get a cheap switch https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS2...76%3A419158031 or maybe an 8 port

dish needs to be able to see satellite have a look where neighbours are pointing will give you an idea, it depends on the installer most don't want to do anything that requires any effort but you may be lucky, but they told me once they're not allowed to go in lofts so I told him to go and I'd cancel then he change his mind :-),
I'd say try and get a good idea yourself where you want the cable to go first and make sure access is as easy as possible, then make them do it :-),
mar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mar00 For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (25-01-2019)
Old 25-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
Darlofan

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,077 Posts
Garage
I think you can use any. We're going to sky q in Feb and a new router came(don't know why!) I swapped it and both sky boxes work fine etc. When we moved as well I mislaid(swear it was the wife but I got the blame) the router so I used the old one I'd kept. That was from talk talk and it worked ok.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (25-01-2019)
Old 25-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #5
Darlofan

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,077 Posts
Garage
On the installation, when we had multi room installed in conservatory the sky guy wouldn't drill through frame, I drilled it for him. I was also unsure of location of tv too so he left loads of cable wrapped up so I could move it if needed.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (25-01-2019)
Old 25-01-2019, 10:32 PM   #6
pxr5

Garage
These might help. Sky is a bit different than all the other ISPs

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/sky...wn-router.html

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nd-isps.html/2
pxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
RedUntilDead

I have limited ability and knowledge of this stuff but this may give you an alternative idea and help you on your way a bit and google is your friend for details as I think you change a couple of settings.
Could you not keep the new router sky supply and then plug your router of choice into that. Your sky router is then just a “modem” (I think) just a gateway for traffic and your own kit is then the router to distribute around the house.
I did this when the post office was our chosen supplier and for the exact same reason. I had purchased my own expensive router to improve my wifi signals.
My it guy changed m6 router years ago when with sky and he said at the time that Sky is difficult to work around. Not sure why, sorry but things may be different now.
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote