Detailing World Forum banner

Should I change the oil now query

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  dreamtheater 
#1 ·
Hi

I own a MK 7 diesel golf, it has always been serviced using long life 5W 30 oil, it was last serviced in June 20 but due to me shielding until 3 weeks ago it has only done 4k miles in last year. I have now returned physically to work and the car will be used a lot more.

Should I get the oil changed now so fresh oil goes in or leave it a few months? On board computor is saying change in 345 days.

Thanks

#2 ·
What are the standard intervals? I seem to remember the newer diesels are 2 years or 20k? In which case youll be fine till next year. That said, my bmw is 2 years or 20k but it get changed every year regardless...then again its a performance car so...

If you can afford to have it done, do it. It will never hurt and oil does degrade over time not just through driving. Otherwise, id say youll be fine for another year :)

#7 · (Edited)
Do the on-board computers work? If the answer to that is yes then I would wait until the service interval.

The computer in my car is supposed to take into account driving style that would include journey length and stop start intervals. Pretty much every journey in my car is 15 miles or more.

If you want a ********** answer you could send a sample to a testing lab and they will give you the full run down of the oil. The test will also report the state of the engine as it will include any metal found.

ETA: Why is "d e f i n i t i v e" starred out?

#12 ·
Depending on the car and mine as an example there isn't an actual annual service. Stuff has intervals and pops up on dash when required. Because of the mileage I did in the first year of ownership the oil and brake fluid have ended up being in different years.

Brake fluid every 2 years regardless of mileage. Oil around 18k or 2 years whichever is first.

#14 ·
Hi

I own a MK 7 diesel golf, it has always been serviced using long life 5W 30 oil, it was last serviced in June 20 but due to me shielding until 3 weeks ago it has only done 4k miles in last year. I have now returned physically to work and the car will be used a lot more.

Should I get the oil changed now so fresh oil goes in or leave it a few months? On board computor is saying change in 345 days.

Thanks
Some manufacturers will have service with in 20k or 12 months (it varies).

If its under a warranty it's probably better to get it serviced in line with what the manufacturer states.

#15 ·
For what it cost, would you not do it?
Oil and filters are a cheap mechanic, see every day the damage that “standing” does to vehicles.
Also someone while changing the oil can have a look if something else has deteriorated, like CV boots, brake pipes, heat shields, if your pads are not seized in the callipers and so on.

Always over serviced my cars, but had seldom repair bills, previous car did 25k a year, oil change on 12.5k , but I changed it at 6.5k, car is still running with 180k on the clock, never been a spanner to the engine.
We are willing to spend hundreds on cleaning gear, but begrudge a service, really?

#16 ·
If I was for changing the car in a couple of years time, I would leave the oil change to next year, keeping the car longer I would probably change it.

My car done 3k last year and did the standard service on mine this year, but I am keeping the car for another 3 or 4 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.