Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone > The Caravan and Motorhome Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #21
horico
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlofan View Post
Gorgeous set up that. Agree with other comments about the awning, it looks fantastic and huge. Just one question, how heavy is it down? I read varying comments about air awnings, some love them some hate them. Most common comment is usually the weight deflated and trying to get on the rail if alone.

Off to storage tomorrow to check on our 20yr old Elldis.
Cheers, were very happy with it all!

The awning is actually quite heavy. Its all one piece and lives in quite a big bag when rolled up. The only tricky part of putting it up is getting it started feeding it on to the rail. If you have a helper to guide it in while another pulls it through its very simple! Talk about two extremes.
horico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #22
horico

Garage
Quick update.

We are due to finally get away this year on a couple of weeks and so the van needed a bit of TLC beforehand as it had stood at the storage yard for months. The battery had managed to kill itself so a new Yuasa L35-115 was installed and I dragged it onto the drive. I was worried I wouldn't get it on but it fit eventually, not helped by having just a single motor mover on the front axle.

Here is what it looked like before:

I then got to work with several goes with TFR, foam and APC with various brushes before a 2BM shampoo. The worst by far was the roof and I didn't have anything that would let me get to the centre properly - what do you guys use?

The wheels were cleaned and dressed before I treated the van to a layer of collinite while the wife cleaned the inside. All the accessories were taken out the locker and cleaned up as well as the locker itself. Tyre pressures were checked and it was ready for taking back to the yard as it can't stay on the driveway.

Black marks were sorted as so:

Here are the finished pics:

(nose high to drain water off the rear)

Strapped to Gail to get hauled off back to the yard (that's next for some TLC!).

The Following User Says Thank You to horico For This Useful Post:
Bristle Hound (07-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #23
horico

Garage
We need t get a few bits sorted before the first trip in a couple of weeks but only odds and sods. The main thing we needed to replace was an awning air tube as one has gone. Hopefully I ordered the right one and it will fit when it comes to setting up on site!
Old 06-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #24
muzzer

Thanked 6,648 Times in 4,233 Posts
Garage
Looking good, we go away in June so i need to book the wash bay out for 3 hrs one weekend even if it's chucking it down to get it clean. For the roof i use a 2 mt extendable brush with soft bristles and that allows me to reach the centre of the roof - just* - and i do the same as you, nose high and once the roof has been scrubbed i use the hose to push the dirty water off the back or sides before i set to with wash pad and shampoo.

I use Silky Cream Cleaner for the black streaks and with a micro fibre it comes off a treat

* I'm a short **** so only just reach it even standing on a step ladder
Old 07-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #25
Bristle Hound
DW's Biggest Thread Starter & Moderator

Thanked 3,073 Times in 2,271 Posts
Garage
Great work @horico

Fortunately for me I've done the winter storage clean
I used the TFR on the roof & was amazed how well it actually cleaned it. I left the TFR to dwell for about 10 mins which seemed to shift the muck. After the TFR roof clean it was the cleanest caravan roof I've ever had lol No power washer for me just an open hose

I did the vertical bits (the sides) with Farecla G3 Professional Bodywork Detox shampoo - again well impressed. Got all the out of the paintwork.
I use a soft extendable brush to clean mine
Wash mitt on the windows to be on the safe side

Took me around 4 1/2 hours for my clean

Brought the van home on Thursday to prepare to go away next week. I used a MF sheet dampened with Surfex (10:1 dilution) on the extendable brush to clean the roof this time
Came up good as before

Hate doing the van roof but I have a 'thing' about it having to be clean - I blame the detailing malarchy for all this

I use one of these to clean the roof of the van while I balance on the top of some step ladders
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232298760...kAAOSwIgNXpEZf

I've just 5litres of Infinity Wax Rapid Detailer on the cheapo to use on the van
Will do it when we get to site next week
Old 07-05-2021, 08:43 PM   #26
Darlofan

Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,401 Posts
Garage
All looking good there.

For roof I use extendable brush as well. I spray with surfex first from a pump sprayer, leave it to soak then brush and hose off. Usually snow foam but didn't this Spring as p washer was at back of garage behind tons of rubbish!

3 weeks and counting for our trip.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
horico (09-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #27
muzzer

Garage
Think i use Koch Chemie GS dilute 50% for the roof
Old 09-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #28
horico

Garage
Cheers for the feedback - brush ordered.

Must also remember to get to the van today or tomorrow and check the battery as if like it fresh for when we go. I can pop it back and charge it if its low.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2021, 03:13 PM   #29
muzzer

Garage
We had a 150 watt solar panel fitted to our Quasar, think it cost me around £390 fitted and it trickle charges the battery over the winter. So far so good but it's going in for it's first service in our ownership next weekend so we shall see. Needs two new tyres too and that's another thing in case nobody mentioned it, because they are commercial tyres on a caravan, they only have a 4 yr life span.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #30
horico

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
We had a 150 watt solar panel fitted to our Quasar, think it cost me around £390 fitted and it trickle charges the battery over the winter. So far so good but it's going in for it's first service in our ownership next weekend so we shall see. Needs two new tyres too and that's another thing in case nobody mentioned it, because they are commercial tyres on a caravan, they only have a 4 yr life span.
Were having a panel fitted next month along with a service and 5 year alde fluid. The guy will check to see whats needed to fit something like Truma iNet so I can monitor the levels remotely. Its cheaper than several £90 batteries each time one goes!

Our tyres are getting on too so well either do them mid season or wait til next year but I'd prefer to do them sooner rather than later.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk