Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 05-05-2021, 09:34 PM   #21
roscopervis
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,003 Times in 760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
I will down the road when I run out of my own supply, as if right now I have more than enough to keep me busy. I am going to play a bit more tonight and see if I can figure out a way to get a shot of a contact angle. After that durability testing using APC is fairly straight forward. Still working on the haze/filling abilities portion though.
How good is the zoom on your camera? Using that same angle and looking at a bead that is on the panel top but also the horizon, you should be able to get a shot of the contact angle. It would need to be a macro zoom type shot, though I suspect this will be taken from a distance. A bridge camera I have would do a very good job of getting that shot I think.
roscopervis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roscopervis For This Useful Post:
Sheep (26-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 12:16 AM   #22
Sheep

Thanked 1,271 Times in 554 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Sheep
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
How good is the zoom on your camera? Using that same angle and looking at a bead that is on the panel top but also the horizon, you should be able to get a shot of the contact angle. It would need to be a macro zoom type shot, though I suspect this will be taken from a distance. A bridge camera I have would do a very good job of getting that shot I think.
My telephoto lens has decent Macro capabilities, otherwise so does the iphone does some as well. I can get that shot, one way or another.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:10 AM   #23
Sheep

OK!

Tonight I setup the panel again, this time with a prop to help "level" the sections so I could take a head on photo and get a better angle on the bead shape (contact angle). I have a couple versions, and then I ran through each section, once from each side using a different angle and line. Let me know what you think.

Mothers CMX, first angle check. I ended up switching to a different angle and then ran through each section from the "back" (label not visible) side.

This angle is a little more downward looking than I wanted, but I will submit it for the sake of options.
DSC_2498 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Dropped the camera down a bit more and the image is much more in line with the panel. Mothers CMX again.
DSC_2499 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Now we're running through the last setup angle through each section. This is where I need feed back if you like the results from this angle. I'm looking for feedback if this is "fair" enough, or if it doesn't show enough variation between sections.

Tac System Shinee Wax
DSC_2502 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine V2
DSC_2503 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Mothers CMX Spray Coating
DSC_2504 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating
DSC_2505 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Wowo Crystal Sealant.
DSC_2507 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Now, we flip the panel around with the angle fading towards us, but tilted up in the front to help level it. You can still see up the slope, but it's showing a bit more of the product area versus the previous setup.

Tac System Shinee Wax
DSC_2509 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Turtle Wax Ice Seal N Shine V2
DSC_2510 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Mothers CMX Spray Coating
DSC_2512 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating
DSC_2513 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Wowo Crystal Sealant
DSC_2514 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Personally, I prefer the second sections of photos. It tells more of the story, and should showcase differences better. I will work on Chemical Testing in the next few days and see what kind of solution I come up with. Torn between wash soap and APC and how many hits (would prefer less, I am going to be doing a lot of these).
Old 06-05-2021, 10:23 AM   #24
roscopervis

Beautiful.

With the chemical testing, I would go for a product that is known to be aggressive, but is also commonly used in car cleaning. A typical soap will take ages, and maybe something you could do 'on the side', but your standard test should have a standard, aggressive product at a set, repeatable dilution.
Sheep (26-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 05:22 AM   #25
Sheep

Couple more test sections added, for a total of 9 individual sections, 7 of which are the same shade of silver. I might reserve the 2 darker grey sections for appearance testing and use the silver to beading and chemical resistance testing.

Panels after a waterless wash. Still need claying and full polish. I'll just give the light silver panel a once over, and go thorough and heavy on the darker one to get it as good as possible.

Untitled by brianjosephson1, on Flickr
Old 08-05-2021, 05:26 AM   #26
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopervis View Post
Beautiful.

With the chemical testing, I would go for a product that is known to be aggressive, but is also commonly used in car cleaning. A typical soap will take ages, and maybe something you could do 'on the side', but your standard test should have a standard, aggressive product at a set, repeatable dilution.
I have a lot of Meguiars APC, but it's labelled as an interior cleaner, and to that extent, I'd agree. It DOES clean well outside but it is intended for interiors. Super Clean degreaser works well for exteriors, is commonly found everywhere, and is easy to restock so I can use the same chemicals indefinitely (also easier on the pocket book than some boutique APCs). I don't have access to high strength snow foams, and foaming every panel would be messy and hard to do in the garage (which is where I intend to do these tests). I'm thinking of mixing a 10:1 and 5 or 3:1 mixture of Super clean and running the 10:1 first, document, and then the stronger mix and seeing if the product holds. I would also wet wipe between each pass and dry off to help the surface tension return.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheep For This Useful Post:
roscopervis (08-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #27
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Sheep - How amazing are these pictures! Bravo sir! Even without considering the testing youre doing, these images are top notch and the angle is spot on.
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
Sheep (26-05-2021)
Old 25-05-2021, 06:13 AM   #28
Sheep

Hello Again everyone!

Been a while since I updated but I can assure you that doesn't mean I haven't been thinking or working on this project. Before tackling chemical testing, I wanted to try some more variations to fill/gloss testing as I think this is a bit more relevant than how many hits of APC a product can take.

Since the black panel is super beat up, I thought hitting it with a rotary polisher and aggressive pad/compound combo would help remove some of the super heavy defects while still leaving behind a good amount of compound haze. I used extremely poor technique as well to help exacerbate the damage. I also hit the good panel with the same pad/polish combo and poor form to see if a perfect panel with hazing would be useful as it's an easier panel to work with.

Here is the "good" fender after getting compounded with the rotary (using poor form) and panel wiped.

And the black panel after the same treatment.

Afterwards, I lined up some sections and applied a smattering of products to see if the results were useful.

Here is some photos of the fill/bare lines left by the tape. Note these are not labelled as to who did what, but just to show the appearance for discussions sake. If you find this acceptable, let me know!

I personally think the up close shots have more information, but I think the fender needs to get fully corrected and the re-hazed via wool pad to be useful for the level of fill and consistency the test would require.

Now, I tried to do the same thing with the good panel, but the defects were so minor the tape lines were hard to see in a photo, so I ended up taking a video to show them. This is not ideal as I want this database to be test/photo only, not video. Either way, here are the results.

As you can see, the lines are visible with the light and camera moving together, but for the sake of photo,s it was nearly impossible to see much difference in some sections.

So there we have it! I am going to fully clean up the black fender and re-haze it with a wool pad and see how those results look. If I get a toned down look to what I have above, I'll be happy.

Thanks for reading, comments and suggestions welcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sheep For This Useful Post:
roscopervis (25-05-2021)
Old 25-05-2021, 08:08 PM   #29
roscopervis

Looking great and I think you’re on the right track now.
Sheep (26-05-2021)
Old 26-05-2021, 06:30 AM   #30
Sheep

After seeing the results of lasts nights polishing, I decided to hit the black panel again with the rotary and try to remove as many defects as I could with a very aggressive pad and polishes. The results speak for themselves.

Just enough defects to allow for filling characteristics to show through, without it looking like putting lipstick on a pig, so to speak.

Achieved the results with the following polishes on a megs 7 inch cutting pad and rotary polisher. I will use the rotary polisher to reset this panel after each test with an aggressive pad and polish, followed by a panel wipe.

OK, haze testing it setup. I have picked my chemical testing product (super clean, 1 hit 10:1, followed by one hit 3:1). Now it's time to setup sections and get testing! It will probably be a while before I start the official thread for this test. I have a lot of products I want to get going all at once, and I need to hammer out the fine print/test parameters before I get carried away.

Thanks again for reading and we'll see you in the official thread!