Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2021, 11:07 PM   #11
fatdazza
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,621 Times in 1,797 Posts
Of course you can object to this but what are you trying to achieve?

You used your personal e-mail for business purposes. It sounds like this was your choice - you said you could not access your work e-mail, but you did have the option to raise this with your employer rather than use your personal e-mail - did your employer instruct you to use your personal e-mail? Does your employer have any policies regarding use of personal e-mail accounts for work purposes (some employers insist you only use work e-mails as these are securely stored for record etc.)

You did not state to the recipients "this is my personal e-mail address please do not disclose it to others"

So maybe the disclosure could have been a GDPR breach, you will not be due thousands in compensation, so I come back to what are you trying to achieve? If just scoring a point, then what is the point?
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 01:45 AM   #12
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,811 Posts
It could have been worse....

https://www.theregister.com/2021/05/...ts_email_fail/
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #13
james_19742000

Thanks for the replies, I am not trying to score points etc it was purely for my own inquisitive mind really.

I only used my own email address as I was about 30 miles away from a work PC, and they won’t allow us access to the work email address vis our own devices, so the email was sent purely for ease, however it was then replied to with various people copied on including an outside contractor.

It was a good angle raised about the use of my own email address for work purposes with regard to the T&C’s of the company own email procedures, that’s something I wouldn’t want to fall foul off, however, I think I might add into my signature requesting that my address isn’t shared outside of the original addresses added at the start of the email?

Thanks for the input, interesting views ��
james_19742000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to james_19742000 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (06-05-2021), Darlofan (06-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 08:22 AM   #14
AnthonyUK
PC Perfectionist

I would have thought it standard these days to have an explicit ban on using personal email addresses for business purposes as Taxboy mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
end of the day you'd be surprised how much of your data is open source.
I think you mean in the public domain
AnthonyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyUK For This Useful Post:
kingswood (08-05-2021)
Old 08-05-2021, 03:11 AM   #15
Blue Al
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Never mind email, I’d like to know who shared my mobile with all the 0843 scammers
They would get something breached with my size 9’s
Blue Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #16
marcusp13
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_19742000 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I am not trying to score points etc it was purely for my own inquisitive mind really.

I only used my own email address as I was about 30 miles away from a work PC, and they won’t allow us access to the work email address vis our own devices, so the email was sent purely for ease, however it was then replied to with various people copied on including an outside contractor.

It was a good angle raised about the use of my own email address for work purposes with regard to the T&C’s of the company own email procedures, that’s something I wouldn’t want to fall foul off, however, I think I might add into my signature requesting that my address isn’t shared outside of the original addresses added at the start of the email?

Thanks for the input, interesting views ��
I had this situation a couple of months ago whereby I accidentally replied CC all to a work email from my personal account; this was purely an accident as I didn’t check the “From” account on my IOS email interface. This email chain then went on to include the COO and Head Of Legal (not regarding my use of personal email may I add), they did not bat an eyelid and neither did my line manager. I was receiving correspondence to this weeks later on my personal account.

Following this, I learned my lesson and double checked the “From” every email I sent from my device.

Alongside this, prior to me having work access on my personal device, I used to email my work account with anything I needed to remember (mind like a sieve) so I could pick it up and email whenever I was back at my workstation/work phone etc.
marcusp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #17
Naddy37
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,562 Times in 1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GleemSpray View Post
Back in 2019 Charing Cross Gender Clinic did the same! Nearly 2000 patients received an email, along with everyone else’s email address, including mine

Personally, I wasn’t concerned. These things happen, & I’m the only one that has access to that email address. But, as you can imagine, people were not impressed with such a breach of confidentiality.
Naddy37 is offline   Reply With Quote