Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Discuss All your prewash stages- washing, claying, pre rinse , claying and drying

Old 06-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #1
rsdan1984
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Iron advice

Hi, I recently did a semi engine bay resto on my MK1 Focus RS, where I dropped all the fluids and removed all the ancillaries. I then prepped and painted the chassis legs and suspension tops and restored everything I removed. The car is ceramic coated and it is looking tired so needs to come off. I live in a very hard water area and am now reluctant to shoot high pressure water at the car, as I'm sure it was mineral deposits left on my slam panel, which I had professionally painted. How should I approach the iron fallout stage if reluctant to shoot water at the car. I could use the hose, but still reluctant.
rsdan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #2
Dodo Factory
DW Sponsor

Thanked 4,350 Times in 1,881 Posts
Just use a claybar if worried about chemicals. An APC or engine bay degreaser, plenty of cheap cloths or paper towel and a little filtered water to rinse with, and then claying, polishing and dressing after if you need to. If the engine bay is immaculate no need for pressure washer and iron fallout is mainly on exterior panels, from brake discs etc.
Dodo Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dodo Factory For This Useful Post:
\Rian (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #3
\Rian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdan1984 View Post
Hi, I recently did a semi engine bay resto on my MK1 Focus RS, where I dropped all the fluids and removed all the ancillaries. I then prepped and painted the chassis legs and suspension tops and restored everything I removed. The car is ceramic coated and it is looking tired so needs to come off. I live in a very hard water area and am now reluctant to shoot high pressure water at the car, as I'm sure it was mineral deposits left on my slam panel, which I had professionally painted. How should I approach the iron fallout stage if reluctant to shoot water at the car. I could use the hose, but still reluctant.
Mineral deposits can be removed by something like koch chemie fse, its a QD designed to remove water spots.

You could also use a blower to dry the bay, this will push all the water out of the nooks.

You could get a DI vessel and rinse with deionized water (pure water with no minerals) in the water so you can just leave it to dry

If the bay isn't too dirty I would just use a waterless wash, engine bays in my experience dont get loads of fall out so you could probably skip the fall out remover
\Rian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:22 AM   #4
rsdan1984

Sorry, I should clarify. I need to deiron the exterior paintwork, as it possibly needs it, especially the back end. I won't be decontaminating the engine bay. My concern is high pressure water will get in everywhere, including the slam panel etc and leave mineral deposits. I'm wondering if a bucket of water and lambswool mitt to rinse the fallout remover off? Then dry? I'm not worried about tar as there is none and clay is easy enough.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #5
Dodo Factory
DW Sponsor

Thanked 4,350 Times in 1,881 Posts
Firstly, using the pressure washer will greatly outweigh any possible damage from mineral deposits. Use it from a distance rather than close up and remember that drain channels are there for a reason... and if any water does get in, you can just check and dry as required.
If that worried about hard water, you'll end up with a DI filter and just using watering cans, gentle handwashing etc. I just don't see the point for all that effort to guard against the chance of mineral deposits, that could always be removed after anyway. Bucket of water/wash in the usual 2BM way after iron removal is always a good idea. They should always be rinsed after use.
Dodo Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 01:26 PM   #6
\Rian

Garage
I agree with the above, using a pressure washer won't necicaraly mean more mineral deposits.

If I were you I would just open the bonnet once you've finished let the bonnet drip as they do catch/hold water then use an old drying towel to dry the slam panel the same you would with the body work.

If there are deposits left then use a QD for water spot removal.

Also a picture would be nice, as it sounds like you've put a lot of work in to the car
\Rian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
rsdan1984

The problem was they wouldn't remove. I tried all sorts and nothing removed them.

The watering can is a good idea. Coupled with a very thorough dry. I could sheet the engine bay off too.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
macmaw

A PW will impart less water than a watering can or a hose.
Just don’t let it dry, and if it does, use good water spot / silica scale remover
macmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #9
rsdan1984

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Car has ended up getting pretty dirty so I think it will be a PW job now after all. I'll just make sure I dry it very well and stand further back than usual. I have an adjustable nozzle too so perhaps I'll dial the pressure back too.
Old 15-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #10
rsdan1984

Just got the cquartz 3.0 version, can't wait to try it.