Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 27-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #11
minotaur uk
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1612 View Post
It's still irrelevant mate. Read what I wrote.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The datasheet mentions 1-5% by weight....so you are getting 1-5% silcon content of the total product. I assume its SIO2 and not silcon carbide. It will having supporting ingrediants to help with application and to help with durability. Compared to other actual 'proper' ceramic products such as TAC moonlight 20-25% (Light ceramic) SIO2 or car pro cQuartz, 70% SIO2.

Meguairs are using the word ceramic as a sales pitch, by industry standards this is not a ceramic product, its infused with a small amount of SIO2. In my opinion this is to mislead the consumer who doesn't know better.
minotaur uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minotaur uk For This Useful Post:
BarryAllen (27-09-2019)
Old 27-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #12
matty.13
Orbital Oracle

Itís also worth noting that their are different types of ceramic you can use in products.
I watched a video of John Hogg (anglewax chemist) and he showed the different types and explained the cost difference between them.
Basically a manufacturing company can add ceramic ingredients that actually do nothing to improve the product but they are not lying when saying it contains them.
From what I can work out the real deal si02 is very expensive and Iíd be surprised if many products actually contain it.
With regards to meguiars ceramic wax, I saw a video that the data sheet shows it actually contains no si02.
Just another company ďjumping on the bandwagonĒ
Iíll stick with wet coat for this type of product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matty.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
Brian1612
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,695 Times in 3,001 Posts
None of us are suggesting it's a ceramic product, of course it isn't.My point is 5% in one product is not the same as 5% in another. Moonlight is in no way, shape or form a direct competitor to hybrid ceramic wax, it's a wet coat application product more similar to something like wet coat.

As for the no si02 video. If you watch the following one you'll see he found the UK or European MSDS which does states the 'Si02' content. The laws in the US are different to what our MSDS requires I believe and he wasn't aware of that despite making out he is all knowing

Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #14
matty.13
Orbital Oracle

Are meguiars not suggesting itís an ceramic product ?
My point is 5%,10% or 15% of si02 resin or other types of si02 can be completely worthless and itís the type of si02 thatís in the product that is important and not the amounts.

matty.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #15
Brian1612
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,695 Times in 3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty.13 View Post
Are meguiars not suggesting itís an ceramic product ?
My point is 5%,10% or 15% of si02 resin or other types of si02 can be completely worthless and itís the type of si02 thatís in the product that is important and not the amounts.

They've called it Hybrid Ceramic 'Wax' which is no different to what the rest of the market is doing with regards to QDs, Shampoos and waxes. We all know they aren't true ceramics but the Si02 does replicate a little of the self cleaning abilities ceramics are known for.

Reading the UK megs description they don't, at any point state this is a ceramic product or a replacement for a ceramic coating. It's always a 'hybrid ceramic wax'... ceramic is in there as it's a buzz word, just the same as the majority of the market.

Agreed on the Si02 content. Quality is obviously important as well. For others saying it's stripped by IPA etc... Apex detailing channel on YouTube didn't remove it fully with a finishing polish on a machine. Says it all.

Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #16
tosh
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,212 Times in 1,023 Posts
Forensic has done a mini review on YouTube, looking good so far. Heís even said it looks better the next day.

I know ceramic is just a marketing term, I just want something that performs. I may do half the car in Megs HCW and the other in Mothers CMX and let them fight it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tosh For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (31-03-2019)
Old 30-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #17
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,361 Times in 4,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosh View Post
Forensic has done a mini review on YouTube, looking good so far. Heís even said it looks better the next day.

I know ceramic is just a marketing term, I just want something that performs. I may do half the car in Megs HCW and the other in Mothers CMX and let them fight it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thatís interesting, definitely be a good test - looking forward to your thoughts if you do trial
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #18
MrPassat
Washmitt Meister

Mother's CMX comes out better than the Meguirs in the reviews I've seen, looking to tosh's comments.
MrPassat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 08:01 PM   #19
tosh

Thanked 1,212 Times in 1,023 Posts
Tried my HCW today, but didnít go too well.

My advice, donít do this anywhere near sun. You also need some water on the panel, if you try and use it near dry, itíll smear.

One side of the car was in the shade; that was fine; normal amount of water on the car, couple of sprays per panel and dried it with my normal towel.

Got to the other side, and most of the water had evaporated. Tried the same thing and the HCW dried on the panel and seemed to smear. Felt grabby like neat BSD.

It did look very good though, and no problems on glass and trim. I didnít spray the glass but the towel was running over it as I dried.

Found some smears on the sun side, felt like high spots, easy to buff off an hour later.

My take on this, is that itís very very thick, and difficult to get the right amount per panel. Much like BSD. But this is designed to be used with water left on the panel, so I am going to try cutting it with water to make it easier to use and try some other spray heads. I found a good trigger that worked with neat BSD.

I prefer Sonax spray and seal at this point (when I have access to a pressure washer), but I mostly do ONR washes with a Worx Hydroshot; so if I can get the consistency right by cutting it with water, I can see myself using it as a drying aid with every ONR wash.

Will see if itís hardened up tomorrow morning.

Will try the spray and rinse method next week
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tosh For This Useful Post:
Fairtony (02-04-2019)
Old 30-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #20
greymda

never found neat BSD grabby. or maybe my memory plays tricks on me...

anyhow, looking forward any updates on looks and durability on HCW!
greymda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greymda For This Useful Post:
tosh (31-03-2019), westerman (01-04-2019)