Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 22-04-2021, 07:35 AM   #1
Sheep
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,271 Times in 554 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Sheep
The Encylobeadia Driptaninca - Setting up my Master LSP database

Hey Everyone!

For nearly a year I've been toying with the idea of setting up a database for LSPs and documenting/showcasing their respective performances in a number of metrics. At first I just wanted to record their water beading performance with a single, identical and repeatable photograph. I was initially going to use my test fenders for this as they can be left in my garage with 100% controllable conditions, but they're also large and unruly and occasionally used for other tests and reviews - ones that can changes their characteristics and conditions. Through work I acquired 2 identical mirror housings, one in a bright silver colour, the other in a dark gunmetal colour (warranty parts that were slated for the garbage bin after the hold time had passed). Because they're identical in construction (thought one is driver side, the other passenger) I have the ability to test not only performance on light colours, but also dark using a common substrate. This also opens up the option for testing gloss and filling abilities, as well as your typical beading and water performance.

As you'll see in the photos, the mirrors are a bit angular in construction, having corners and clear flat spots. This would also allow me to test sections with controlled wear - buffer haze or lightly polished wet sanding marks to show filling abilities on one mirror, or just on one side - the possibilities are endless. Because of their small nature, I can move them and place them easily and run simple tests with water in a very repeatable fashion, as well as photograph and film them with identical lighting, composition, and movements.This is where you all come in. I want to know what you would like to see tested and documented with each product. As of right now, I am obviously going to test initial water behavior and beading characteristics, but I am also now dabbling with gloss and filling abilities, as well as possibly introducing a controlled repeatable durability test using a normal APC product and application (10:1 APC applied 5 or 10 times and water performance recorded afterwards). I might incorporate these into reviews as well as a stand alone database so if someone wanted to look up a product quickly and see results they can.

Here are the mirror housings after a quick APC wash and clay - will be fully polished and stripped down before I start testing.

Untitled by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

So let me know what you think. Open to suggestions that are not listed as well, but might not be able to incorporate it if very costly (gloss meters are WAY to much for me right now) or too involved. As of right now I plan to test every single product I have that incorporates some kind of protective film. Once those are done I will look to add to the list as time and budget allows.
Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sheep For This Useful Post:
350Chris (25-05-2021), cangri (23-04-2021), Citromark (23-04-2021), Ennoch (24-04-2021), greymda (22-04-2021), JU5T1N (23-04-2021), LostVulpine (23-04-2021), noorth (23-04-2021), Rappy (23-04-2021), roscopervis (22-04-2021), straight6hatch (22-04-2021)
Old 22-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #2
Stoner

Fantastic idea - really looking forward to the results.
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stoner For This Useful Post:
Sheep (22-04-2021)
Old 22-04-2021, 08:04 AM   #3
Dave50
Orbital Oracle

As above, fantastic idea. Subscribed

Dave
Dave50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave50 For This Useful Post:
Sheep (22-04-2021)
Old 22-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #4
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Brilliant idea Sheep!

Whilst you have pots of products I'm sure, I'd bet my bottom dollar that people would be willing to send you some (for science ) given how little product you would need to 'coat' 2 wingmirrors.

Excited to see how this progresses
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
Sheep (22-04-2021)
Old 22-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #5
roscopervis

Thanked 1,003 Times in 760 Posts
Brilliant! Encyclobeadia!
roscopervis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roscopervis For This Useful Post:
Sheep (22-04-2021)
Old 23-04-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
Sheep

Some developments today as well as an additional piece that will be great for side by side ranking. I clayed the mirrors last night and hit them with tar remover today, which was then followed by a thorough polishing to get them up to snuff. Polish used was Sonax Perfect Finish (4/6). As you'll see in the photos below, they're looking great and should provide very good bases for consistent testing.

In addition to the mirrors, I managed to snag another painted trim piece, this one being a lower bumper garnish that is painted in a very wet looking metallic silver. It's basically brand new, so after a quick wash/clay/detar and polish its ready for prime time. The other benefit to this piece is that it has 5 evenly marked and separated sections of flat, slightly sloped paint. This means I can put 5 products on the panel, and do very simple, easy side by side comparisons as well as just slickness via tilting.

As I work on this and think it over, I'm contemplating dropping the wet sand and fill testing portion. I will still test gloss and filling on good paint, but I'm thinking that wet sanding marks will not be real world representative to what users would be looking at in a proper setting. Let me know your thoughts and we can test it possibly on one of the fenders instead (more surface area).

Dark mirror prior to polishing.
IMG_0468 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Light mirror prior to polishing.
IMG_0474 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Dark mirror after polishing.
IMG_0478 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Light mirror after polishing.
IMG_0479 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

All 3 panels after polishing.
IMG_0488 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

Skid plate after polishing.
IMG_0489 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sheep For This Useful Post:
Citromark (23-04-2021), roscopervis (23-04-2021)
Old 23-04-2021, 06:23 AM   #7
cangri
PC Perfectionist

Send a message via Yahoo to cangri
Cracking job.

And thank you for your time dedicated to this project.
cangri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cangri For This Useful Post:
Sheep (23-04-2021)
Old 23-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #8
JU5T1N
PC Perfectionist

Testing gloss without a meter especially on perfect paint is pointless, you could test visual effects though. I thought testing the filling was an interesting idea and not an aspect of lsps many people test but would be incredibly useful information to people without perfected work daily drivers. May be just use a really fine sand paper like p6000.
JU5T1N is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JU5T1N For This Useful Post:
Sheep (23-04-2021)
Old 23-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #9
Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU5T1N View Post
Testing gloss without a meter especially on perfect paint is pointless, you could test visual effects though. I thought testing the filling was an interesting idea and not an aspect of lsps many people test but would be incredibly useful information to people without perfected work daily drivers. May be just use a really fine sand paper like p6000.
I say gloss, but I mean darkening/different visual performance. I’m not sure how I would categorize this, as some times the difference is impossible to photograph, but visible to the naked eye.

In regards to filling, I can get 3000 grit paper and then lightly polish it to remove the bulk of the haze but leave enough behind to give something to fill. The question becomes how much to leave and how to keep the results similar so the database is comparable in a fair manner. That’s the main challenge with this, keeping it fair between sessions and applications.

I might try the frist round of beading shots over the weekend using the 5 section panel, and save the mirrors for gloss/visual difference. If I have time I’ll look around for paper and dabble with wet sanding on the black fender and see if it works out with a 3000 grit haze and a light polish like ultimate polish.
Old 23-04-2021, 09:33 PM   #10
JU5T1N
PC Perfectionist

When sanding you could use no pressure, go in 1 direction and count the number of times you go back and forth so you have a method thats easy to repeat and will produce results similar enough for the test. I think polishing just adds more variables that will make it more difficult to get similar results.
JU5T1N is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JU5T1N For This Useful Post:
Gedo (24-04-2021)