Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Money And Business Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Money And Business Zone All things money related, Savings, Finance, Pensions ,Insurance, Mortgages and more,

View Poll Results: Would you buy home furnishings online? Sofas/Beds/Flooring?
Yes, I would buy home furnishings without seeing them in person. 10 26.32%
No, I would always go and try them in person before buying them online later. 9 23.68%
No, I would always prefer to see and purchase them in a store to make sure its what I want. 19 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #11
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
I've bought carpet and flooring online, but only after i've known what it is i've decided on - such purchases were based solely on price, which isn't great for supporting local businesses although i do try to give them some of my business when they are competitive or i want a professionally fitted solution
I think that you're probably right. There are things that I do on my car, from parts bought online, that dont support local business (my local garage). However, loads of stuff I do buy locally to support family businesses like ours. Doing things to a price though, thats fair enough!
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #12
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
I've bought beds and matresses online and had no major issues with them. The only time i had a problem was due to an error on my part.
Muzzer, muzzer, muzzer. I thought better of you *tut tut*

Thats fair though! Was it not a bit strange not knowing how it was going to feel? Perhaps its the safety of knowing you can return them? Im intrigued!
Old 30-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #13
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,605 Times in 2,245 Posts
Garage
I'd have normally said no, i like to try before I buy.

But in desperate need of a new mattress and everywhere closed last year, we took a punt on a Simba and love it.

Missus is now looking at sofa's in a box, but i'm still keen to sit in one before i commit to a purchase.

<a href=https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6871&dateline=1611939323 target=_blank>https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...ine=1611939323</a>

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
straight6hatch (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #14
sharrkey
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6hatch View Post
Great Brand Duresta. Fantastic Quality, we sell them here.

So from your perspective, having a try and then shopping about for the best price is always great. As you probably know, a retailer always has higher overheads than an online shop will. From my perspective, you're the kind of customer we like least . It makes us feel used and abused if im honest (nothing personal!).

Would you ever do your 'homework' online and then reapproach the retailer you tried the sofa in to try and negotiate the price?

Does ordering online not scare you? I know how much those kind of sofas are and spending that money with someone I had never met would worry me!

Appreciate your comments though! This is super helpful

I’ve worked in sales all my life so I try to make a point of not wasting anyone’s time whilst out researching myself within furniture showrooms, but yes with Duresta & even Gasgoine you know the expected quality and warranty provided so no worries there.

I did try and get a furniture retailer to match the online price for my Vispring mattress, they laughed and said no chance, I said fine and thanked them for their time and bought online that evening.

I heavily research anything I buy and equally the cost I can buy for, another perfect example was engineered oak flooring that I bought a few years back, local guy was 4K and I could buy online for 2k, he said it cost him more to buy than what I was paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sharrkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sharrkey For This Useful Post:
Old 30-04-2021, 12:57 PM   #15
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,401 Posts
Garage
Normally I'd say no but in December due to lockdown we bought a new bed from John Lewis. I would have waited but wife pushed it, mainly cos it was her side that was cream crackered

New one was replaced last month due to a fault but have to say it was a risk not trying out first but worked out ok.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
Old 30-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #16
muzzer

Thanked 6,648 Times in 4,233 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6hatch View Post
Muzzer, muzzer, muzzer. I thought better of you *tut tut*

Thats fair though! Was it not a bit strange not knowing how it was going to feel? Perhaps its the safety of knowing you can return them? Im intrigued!

Regards the beds, cost played a huge part as did style but the website i bought them from had full dimensions so i knew what size the bed would be. The two i have bought online weren't an issue, one was too low for the wife who is disabled and the second one is going strong 4 years later.

The Mattress was an error on my part with the sizing, and it wasn't that comfy to be fair. The replacement we changed it for is superb, it's possibly the comfiest mattress i've had for the better part of 30 years.

If the local shops did the same quality at a similar price point, i would have bought locally but when Mattressman want the thick of end of £700 for a mattress and i got one with the same feel* online for less than £200, then the high street can't compete.
* feel not quality, although the one we did get has so far proven to be amazing.

We haven't ordered anything outlandish when we've done it online, so expectations were fully met.
Would i go back to buying from a store? Sure but then it's a case of supply and demand, do they have it in stock? Most times yes but if go online i can exactly what is in stock and what isnt, too many times i've been told it's in stock in a shop only to be told the next day it isnt and i have to wait.
Old 30-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #17
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
I'd have normally said no, i like to try before I buy.

But in desperate need of a new mattress and everywhere closed last year, we took a punt on a Simba and love it.

Missus is now looking at sofa's in a box, but i'm still keen to sit in one before i commit to a purchase.
Im interested in how the Simba holds up to the test of time. very appealing marketing with their 100 day try and return system etc. Theyre foam so a no no for me as I get too hot.

Sofas in a box?! Whatever next

Thanks for your comments
Old 30-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #18
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrkey View Post
I’ve worked in sales all my life so I try to make a point of not wasting anyone’s time whilst out researching myself within furniture showrooms, but yes with Duresta & even Gasgoine you know the expected quality and warranty provided so no worries there.

I did try and get a furniture retailer to match the online price for my Vispring mattress, they laughed and said no chance, I said fine and thanked them for their time and bought online that evening.

I heavily research anything I buy and equally the cost I can buy for, another perfect example was engineered oak flooring that I bought a few years back, local guy was 4K and I could buy online for 2k, he said it cost him more to buy than what I was paying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats totally fair comment. I would say, with confidence, that not many people will research heavily. I could be wrong but the feeling I get from my customers is that they do basic research and go from there. It obviously has paid dividends for you though!

Good point about not wasting peoples time. It was amazing when I sold cars how many people just fancied a jolly. Did my head in!

Interesting comments about the flooring. Truthfully, we do very well with flooring. Its not something everyone can do - even I can only just fit carpet and to a medocre standard. Id be interested to know if the product was exactly the same, although I am sure you researched this and it probably was. The bit where we do well is in the fitting. Finding a reliable carpet fitter who will 'fit anything' is impossible - believe me im constantly looking. Most of our customers would feel uncomfortable buying a product online for then someone theyve never heard of come round to their home to fit it. What if they mess it up? No come backs I presume.

Really interesting to hear the other side of the fence so to speak. I dont know what sales industry you work in, but do you find the same issues im finding in your realm?

Really really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand here mate. Oh, and given half a chance, id have your m2 off you in a heartbeat
The Following User Says Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
sharrkey (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #19
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
Regards the beds, cost played a huge part as did style but the website i bought them from had full dimensions so i knew what size the bed would be. The two i have bought online weren't an issue, one was too low for the wife who is disabled and the second one is going strong 4 years later.

The Mattress was an error on my part with the sizing, and it wasn't that comfy to be fair. The replacement we changed it for is superb, it's possibly the comfiest mattress i've had for the better part of 30 years.

If the local shops did the same quality at a similar price point, i would have bought locally but when Mattressman want the thick of end of £700 for a mattress and i got one with the same feel* online for less than £200, then the high street can't compete.
* feel not quality, although the one we did get has so far proven to be amazing.

We haven't ordered anything outlandish when we've done it online, so expectations were fully met.
Would i go back to buying from a store? Sure but then it's a case of supply and demand, do they have it in stock? Most times yes but if go online i can exactly what is in stock and what isnt, too many times i've been told it's in stock in a shop only to be told the next day it isnt and i have to wait.
Interesting! Sounds like youve done well/been lucky with your beds. Its a weekly occurance that I hear of one of our customers who buys a bed online, only to find out it was rubbish or hurt their back.

Your examples of 'Mattressman' is...interesting. I wouldnt ever insult your intelligence by explaining feeling vs quality as im sure you already know. Doing research, most of our beds are online and we are quite comparable in terms of cost which is unusual!

One of our best bed brands is a company called Hypnos. I have one myself and its utterly sublime. Theyre hand finished beds and so are often made to order. Stock is tricky but nobody has stock to be honest as its not possible. Then again, they average at about £900 for a double so they are on the heavier end of the price scale. Worth every penny IMO though.

Thanks for your help
Old 30-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #20
RS3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyT View Post
I have and regretted it Wayfair bought 3 mattress and there all terrible £1000 in total 2 single and a small double. There done and we only got them 9 months ago.
also Sofas from Argos that where so called Leather to find out there leather faced with Faux leather sides that has started to shed.
This is not covered by the 10 year guarantee only covers the first year.
We our going to DFS soon to try and buy.
Wev'e had 2 Suites from DFS over the last 22 years and I suspect those we have now will last forever - Great quality. There wasn't a problem with the 1st suite at all but my wife wanted to donate it to her young brother for his 1st house.

Not only did I go to DFS and try the last suite, I ended up visiting the factory that manufactures them in Preston to make sure I was happy with the quality but the last lot where very expensive.
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3 For This Useful Post: