Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Money And Business Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Money And Business Zone All things money related, Savings, Finance, Pensions ,Insurance, Mortgages and more,

View Poll Results: Would you buy home furnishings online? Sofas/Beds/Flooring?
Yes, I would buy home furnishings without seeing them in person. 10 26.32%
No, I would always go and try them in person before buying them online later. 9 23.68%
No, I would always prefer to see and purchase them in a store to make sure its what I want. 19 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #21
sharrkey
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6hatch View Post
Thats totally fair comment. I would say, with confidence, that not many people will research heavily. I could be wrong but the feeling I get from my customers is that they do basic research and go from there. It obviously has paid dividends for you though!

Good point about not wasting peoples time. It was amazing when I sold cars how many people just fancied a jolly. Did my head in!

Interesting comments about the flooring. Truthfully, we do very well with flooring. Its not something everyone can do - even I can only just fit carpet and to a medocre standard. Id be interested to know if the product was exactly the same, although I am sure you researched this and it probably was. The bit where we do well is in the fitting. Finding a reliable carpet fitter who will 'fit anything' is impossible - believe me im constantly looking. Most of our customers would feel uncomfortable buying a product online for then someone theyve never heard of come round to their home to fit it. What if they mess it up? No come backs I presume.

Really interesting to hear the other side of the fence so to speak. I dont know what sales industry you work in, but do you find the same issues im finding in your realm?

Really really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand here mate. Oh, and given half a chance, id have your m2 off you in a heartbeat

Iíve only ever worked in retail, from clothing stores in early days to area manager for mobile retail, 10yrs in Car sales and last was New & Used car manager and more recently Sky.

Flooring was exact same brand and model Khars yet the local guy just said I couldnít be buy at that price, as for fitting Iíve a joiner Iíve used for 20+ years so! And main reason I went Khars was Iíd put it down 15yrs ago and it was still going well in other rooms.

Buying the M2 was no different as Iíd researched the market, prepared to travel country wide for a deal, told my local dealer my best deal and they said they couldnít match as THAT dealer was loosing money lol
Local dealer eventually called me to offer same deal 2 weeks before me collecting from a dealer in Nottinghamshire, sorry Too Late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sharrkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sharrkey For This Useful Post:
straight6hatch (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 01:36 PM   #22
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrkey View Post
Iíve only ever worked in retail, from clothing stores in early days to area manager for mobile retail, 10yrs in Car sales and last was New & Used car manager and more recently Sky.

Flooring was exact same brand and model Khars yet the local guy just said I couldnít be buy at that price, as for fitting Iíve a joiner Iíve used for 20+ years so! And main reason I went Khars was Iíd put it down 15yrs ago and it was still going well in other rooms.

Buying the M2 was no different as Iíd researched the market, prepared to travel country wide for a deal, told my local dealer my best deal and they said they couldnít match as THAT dealer was loosing money lol
Local dealer eventually called me to offer same deal 2 weeks before me collecting from a dealer in Nottinghamshire, sorry Too Late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sounds like you and I are quite similar to be honest. I have always been in retail which I enjoy. Car sales for 3 years which I was most glad to get out of to work for the family firm. Now, in essence, I work for myself. Its fantastic.

Its funny how many companies claim others are 'losing money'. Well, clearly theyre not because they wouldnt do it otherwise . If I cant match something, i just say that I cant do it as its not worth it for me. Unlike my car sales days, honesty is the best policy.
Yesterday, I had a customer chase an order. I had messed up and not ordered it. I told the customer that and explained what had happened. By the end of the convo, she was thanking me. Bizarre how far honesty gets you!
straight6hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
sharrkey (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 01:50 PM   #23
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 3,605 Times in 2,245 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Im interested in how the Simba holds up to the test of time. very appealing marketing with their 100 day try and return system etc. Theyre foam so a no no for me as I get too hot.

Sofas in a box?! Whatever next

Thanks for your comments
We went for the Hybrid Pro, missus can't stand memory foam and we've previously had latex topper matresses which she is OK with. I have no problems with getting too hot in all fairness and i'm normally like an oven at the best of times.

It replaced a quite expensive mattress that we never really got on with, Silentnight from memory. Within a couple of weeks of the Simba both us had far less aches and pains.

Within a couple of weeks of purchase Simba changed their 30% promo discount to 35%, i dropped them an email and they refunded the 5% difference without a quibble.

Like you say, it will interesting how it holds up over time, but for the last few months, i can;t really fault it. Bloody heavy though.

<a href=https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6871&dateline=1611939323 target=_blank>https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/for...ine=1611939323</a>

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 30-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #24
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

A massive thanks to those that have already voiced their opinion. I feel like I should explain things a bit further for those that care!

I am exceptionally fortunate to be in the position of now managing my family business - a home furnishings store. The store has been running for 73 years this year and my great grandfather set it up just after he came back from being at war. Naturally, im very fond of this place. It has always done well as there is limited competition around here and we have a great reputation. However, being 'young' (not that I feel it!), I am constantly looking at ways to improve the business and ensure its continuation. Online selling is something that we have frowned upon as we are very customer service focused and we find it hard to achieve that online. However, needs must and its something im considering launching in the future.

So, now you know why im asking these questions! Thanks for your help folks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
Darlofan (30-04-2021), sharrkey (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 03:19 PM   #25
muzzer

Thanked 6,648 Times in 4,233 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Interesting! Sounds like youve done well/been lucky with your beds. Its a weekly occurance that I hear of one of our customers who buys a bed online, only to find out it was rubbish or hurt their back.

Your examples of 'Mattressman' is...interesting. I wouldnt ever insult your intelligence by explaining feeling vs quality as im sure you already know. Doing research, most of our beds are online and we are quite comparable in terms of cost which is unusual!

One of our best bed brands is a company called Hypnos. I have one myself and its utterly sublime. Theyre hand finished beds and so are often made to order. Stock is tricky but nobody has stock to be honest as its not possible. Then again, they average at about £900 for a double so they are on the heavier end of the price scale. Worth every penny IMO though.

Thanks for your help
That's why i said it "felt" the same, i know the quality of an expensive item is going to be better than the cheaper item in all bar 1% of cases but so far so good.
Would i have spent £700 on the mattress? If it was the only one that allowed the wife a decent nights sleep, yes of course.

But with regards to Sofa's, then no i wouldn't buy that online as i'd want to sit on it first and the last 2 have both been bought after trying them in the shop.
Old 30-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #26
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
That's why i said it "felt" the same, i know the quality of an expensive item is going to be better than the cheaper item in all bar 1% of cases but so far so good.
Would i have spent £700 on the mattress? If it was the only one that allowed the wife a decent nights sleep, yes of course.

But with regards to Sofa's, then no i wouldn't buy that online as i'd want to sit on it first and the last 2 have both been bought after trying them in the shop.
Im glad that the mattress is doing you well though, genuienly. Anything you buy is a gamble if im honest as you really dont know unless you live with it. I guess thats why Simba do so well.

The bit about the wife had be chuckling. I dont blame you there

Thanks for your help though, I do seriously appreciate it. Its so hard trying to be a 'pioneer' within a family firm thats so connected to its traditional roots. Doesnt help that my boss is my Dad and Grandad
Old 30-04-2021, 03:30 PM   #27
kingswood
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,024 Times in 617 Posts
we've just bought a new 3 seater and 2 seater sofa from barker and stone house. the Luca range if you know it.

the wife dragged me to go view and was reluctant at that, the ones we have are only 14 years old! there's no way I'd buy online. if anything you need to take a tape measure and make sure stuff will fit.

then there's always a haggle face to face. we bought the last demo set, reduced from just over £4k to £2700 and got them down another £200 for a few marks on it.

and being in stock comes next well, no endless waiting times.
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Old 30-04-2021, 04:10 PM   #28
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
we've just bought a new 3 seater and 2 seater sofa from barker and stone house. the Luca range if you know it.

the wife dragged me to go view and was reluctant at that, the ones we have are only 14 years old! there's no way I'd buy online. if anything you need to take a tape measure and make sure stuff will fit.

then there's always a haggle face to face. we bought the last demo set, reduced from just over £4k to £2700 and got them down another £200 for a few marks on it.

and being in stock comes next well, no endless waiting times.
only 14 years old if everyone waited 14 years to change their stuff i'd go out of business!

Sounds like you got a blinding deal mate, well done! Im not farmiliar with the range but B&S actually sell a lot of the same stuff we do so im sure ill know of it.

Wait times at the moment are nothing short of a joke. Everything in our store is subject to mad delays due to covid/Suez/brexit/wind direction
Old 30-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #29
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,401 Posts
Garage
All beds we've ever had it's the bases that cause the issues not the mattresses. Taking the bases apart to dispose of/firewood they all seem to be built exactly the same. Basically not a lot in them. I wonder what price point the bases become a better build or is a £300 divan base the same as a £2000 base.
Darlofan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 08:21 PM   #30
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 8,592 Times in 5,382 Posts
Things like beds and sofas need to be tried and tested. What I find comfortable is different from other people.

I really need to try the mattress and sofa before buying and more so if you're talking more expensive stuff. If you're buying cheap you've got to accept it won't be great, but for quality items you want to know it fits properly.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote