Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 05-05-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,232 Times in 2,699 Posts
New Estate

So the hunt is currently on for a replacement estate car for the 508. Current shortlists are

Mondeo - although the powershift is a questionable gearbox, so the Mk4.5 2.2 is favourite as it doesn't have the Ford box, trouble is rockinghorse poo is easier to find

Merc E Class - it is the ultimate estate car but there are a few niggles but I find it hard to get excited by one, the 350 is the one i'd go for. It does tick all the boxes though

F11 5 Series, good ones are hard to find, preferably one with a sunroof as it rules out it being ex police, most are 2.0 diesels which does have issue with timing chains but they look good and drive well.

Subaru Outback - I like the looks but limited engine choice is an issue, the petrol is underpowered and the diesel doesn't live up to the Japanese reliability. The current model is very nicely finished inside but budget is going to push me towards the older model.

Budget is up to 8k, limit of 100,000 miles give or take, needs to be Mondeo size and auto, prefer petrol but happy with diesel, it may be asked to tow too. Oh and nothing from VAG, i dislike the DSG box and i never find them that comfortable.

I think thats all the options - don't like the avensis and the xf is out of budget, i'd get laughed at for an insignia ....
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
andy665
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 5,451 Times in 2,962 Posts
Volvo V70

Mazda 6

Why rule out the Insignia - solid car with no more issues than anything else

Didn't some of the bigger engined (2.7 / 3.0 TDi) A6s stick with a conventional torque convertor auto

I don't think a car exists that does not have "issues", its knowing what they are, looking for one with the issues rectified or at a price where you can budget for rectification
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
SteveTDCi (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
marcusp13
Sponge Jockey

Another vote here for the Mazda 6. I recently got a 2015 saloon and it’s great and very well equipped.
marcusp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marcusp13 For This Useful Post:
SteveTDCi (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
Nick-ST

Garage
My vote would be for a V70. Personally I would save yourself a few quid and get an older Volvo when they were proper Volvo's rather than a Ford parts bin special. Get yourself a 5 cylinder lump and you're sorted for a good couple of hundred thousand miles providing you service it well.
Nick-ST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick-ST For This Useful Post:
SteveTDCi (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 08:30 PM   #5
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Not really a fan of the v70, just something about them. The 6, I had considered them, the insignia, the boot is smaller than the Astra

The A6, yes the earlier Quattro was a torque converter box but I just don’t like them, the v6 is a pig to work on and I frequently see vag cars in bits at work.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:16 PM   #6
Nick-ST

Garage
What about a 5 series? Could get a decent 530i or 530d for that... Go for an E60 shape. Timeless and beastly!
Nick-ST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick-ST For This Useful Post:
SteveTDCi (07-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #7
Summit Detailing
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,377 Posts
Garage
I've had an F11 and V70 previously...currently have an E-class.

V70 - d5 diesel not a plus point, would have a petrol if buying again. Excellent seats and stereo. Terrible turning circle and fidgety low speed ride(SE Lux not even R-design!).

F11 - would have another, but in 530d form. 520d was ok but felt lacking in certain scenario's, despite the best efforts of the ZF8!
Xenon headlamps a must as poor output from standard bulbs. Wide nav screen also makes the dash look 'finished'.

E-class - just works! Nice place to be, decent equipment level as standard. Pan roof & ortho seats are nice (but rare) options.
Ride quality and overall refinement is excellent, 220d engine and 7g gearbox are good bedfellows. A better combo than the 520d/zf8 above.

I've also considered/driven the Mondeo and Insignia - less 'premium' of course but decent cars both. Would need to be TitaniumX or Elite spec to be worthy of consideration imo.

All benefitted from a gearbox oil change.
Volvo cost me the most in terms of maintenance bills and was the worst on fuel.
BMW/Merc practically identical.

Merc has the biggest boot and ever so slightly more room in the rear seats.

DM me if you want any more info

Cheers,

Chris

p.s one of my old chauffeuring bosses still has a 2014 e220d, just mot checked it and it had done 336k miles in December - that will be on the original drivetrain
Passion. Cars. Expertise.
Summit Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summit Detailing For This Useful Post:
kingswood (07-05-2021), SteveTDCi (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #8
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanks Chris, 530d is a rare old thing at my price point, plenty of E Classes around that price though, it also ticks the box on having a bigger boot but the car is narrower, E250 might be the sweet spot, injectors and oil leaks can be an issue but fairly simple to fix.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:45 PM   #9
Summit Detailing
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,377 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTDCi View Post
Thanks Chris, 530d is a rare old thing at my price point, plenty of E Classes around that price though, it also ticks the box on having a bigger boot but the car is narrower, E250 might be the sweet spot, injectors and oil leaks can be an issue but fairly simple to fix.
That's one thing I forgot to mention - the F11 always felt wide, the E-class just feels normal!

As with any modern car, make sure it's been looked after mechanically and continue to look after it and it'll see you well.
They all have their weak points but don't let Google put you off, otherwise nobody would ever buy a car!

Cheers,

Chris
Passion. Cars. Expertise.
Summit Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 12:14 AM   #10
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

I think the short list is between the Subaru Outback and the E Class ...