Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2021, 08:26 PM   #1
james_19742000
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Email GDPR breach??

Evening all

Just a query really, I sent an email to a couple of people at work using there work email addresses, I had to use my own personal email for work purposes as I couldnít get access to the company email system.

One of the recipients replied using Ďreply allí but then added other people into the reply including an outside contractor.

I didnít agree to my personal email address being shared so is this a breach of my personal data??

Whilst I donít mind using my own email for the occasional use of work emails, Iím not happy at my address being shared with other people/organisations?

Can I object to this to my company or do I just need to ignore it?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.
james_19742000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:53 PM   #2
Darlofan

Thanked 2,111 Times in 1,401 Posts
Garage
I would say you openly used it so unless you specifically said "I'm having to use my personal email please don't use it" there's not a lot you can do.

Funnily enough I noticed in work somebody who is off on maternity used her personal email to contact our manager and that is now being used in the cc box when emailing the region!
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:02 PM   #3
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 6,977 Times in 4,803 Posts
Garage
It probably could be argued that you introduced your personal email into that work context, but for it, and any personal data to be released to a third party is at best, a wee bit careless. If you argue that a breach took place, just be careful that you are not in breach of any of your employer's IT Security policies by using your personal email address for work purposes.

I think the simple answer would be for you to request that any personal information held by the third party (or indeed, your own work) is deleted (The right to erasure).

In future, dont use your personal email address for work purposes, if you dont want it to be associated with your work.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:03 PM   #4
garage_dweller

I donít think you have any right to object. How would the person that copied in a 3rd party know you didnít want your email visible to others?

If you donít want your personal email address bandied about in relation to work then donít use it for work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
garage_dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,811 Posts
GDPR is quite specific about this, and I have been advised that if you are doing any sort of group mailing or forward, you can only use "To" or "Cc" for addresses that you have the authority or explicit consent to make public.

Otherwise, you MUST use "Bcc" with all other addresses its going out to.

So yes you do have a valid complaint, but good luck with getting it taken seriously.

Last edited by GleemSpray; 05-05-2021 at 09:27 PM.
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:44 PM   #6
kingswood

Thanked 1,024 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_19742000 View Post
Evening all

Just a query really, I sent an email to a couple of people at work using there work email addresses, I had to use my own personal email for work purposes as I couldnít get access to the company email system.

One of the recipients replied using Ďreply allí but then added other people into the reply including an outside contractor.

I didnít agree to my personal email address being shared so is this a breach of my personal data??

Whilst I donít mind using my own email for the occasional use of work emails, Iím not happy at my address being shared with other people/organisations?

Can I object to this to my company or do I just need to ignore it?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.
who was the recipient that added more people? if they are in a position where they should know better than approach them.

what's done is done, and by using ur email and not saying don't disclose then someone with limited GDPR knowledge wouldn't know it was a breech.

if it was your line manager etc making an issue could be seen as point scoring, then again you may want their line manager to know they're incompetent. depends on the politics

I use my personal one for union business in the workplace. end of the day you'd be surprised how much of your data is open source.

try 192.com to see how much is info is available for everyone to see
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #7
MPS101
Washmitt Meister

In short no, you made your personal address public when you used it for the original work email, if you did not want it on work circulations then it should not be used. Also if the others were added for a legitimate purpose to the chain as part of work then that is fine.
Some companies have express policies on use of personal email addresses and so check you have not breached that before complaining more. As that’s why you have a work email.

Which section of the legislation are you saying they breached as well as it appears you gave consent for your data to be processed for work purposes when you originally used your private email address.
MPS101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:34 PM   #8
GeeWhizRS

Thanked 1,194 Times in 796 Posts
Garage
I wouldnít be impressed if any of my staff were using their private email address for business use. So Iíd not make that known. Even if your company are not bothered theyíll likely think youíre being a bit silly complaining about GDPR. Your colleagues too. Donít be that guy.
GeeWhizRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:48 PM   #9
Taxboy

As had been suggested earlier. I'd let it drop. Where I used to work it would have been a disciplinary offence to use personal email for business use, as it was deemed a data loss as the information was not contained in the organisation's secure network (along with the monitoring protocols GDPR etc)
My advice is don't stir it up with your employer as the outcome may not be the one you expect

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
Taxboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:50 PM   #10
Mcpx

While your complaint may be valid, don’t forget exactly who you are complaining about. Your company is legally obliged to comply with GDPR so if an employee breaches it, they could be subject to disciplinary proceedings, which in this case, would be yourself. I’ve not been involved with it for a few years but I know that when it first came out the potential fines for breaching the rules were huge, so companies have to take it very seriously.

In this case I would say lesson learned and get a new email address, or like I do, set up several for different things.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote